Limp mode? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-01-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Be careful with the ebay ELM27 ! If you try &load it on a laptop with windows 10, the antivirus will reject the download & so you wont get the password. You end up with a plastic brick as you cant get a password.
Never ever use the crappy disc they come with, bin it straight away, the programme is often buggy as anything. The same with all these sorts of things that come with an operating disc, bin them , especially the ones that come with bore cams and really any device, far better systems online..... any disc with a device is usually got some sort of bug hidden in them........... They can make good drink coasters.......
Probably why so many say they don't work as they use the programme which comes with them, the ELM 27 doesn't need anything more than plugging in to the OBD slot and a decent blutooth/USB connection to work with your preferred reader on phone or Laptop... Mines been running for at least 10 years now, I lashed out $15 for it.....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 22-01-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Never ever use the crappy disc they come with, bin it straight away, the programme is often buggy as anything. The same with all these sorts of things that come with an operating disc, bin them , especially the ones that come with bore cams and really any device, far better systems online..... any disc with a device is usually got some sort of bug hidden in them........... They can make good drink coasters.......
Probably why so many say they don't work as they use the programme which comes with them, the ELM 27 doesn't need anything more than plugging in to the OBD slot and a decent blutooth/USB connection to work with your preferred reader on phone or Laptop... Mines been running for at least 10 years now, I lashed out $15 for it.....
Managed to find my old bluetooth ELM27 I had used on my JK. Connected and utilised the AlfaOBD demo app and it comes up with no fault codes. Does this narrow down the possible issues?
Old 22-01-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,981 Times in 2,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeDom View Post
Managed to find my old bluetooth ELM27 I had used on my JK. Connected and utilised the AlfaOBD demo app and it comes up with no fault codes. Does this narrow down the possible issues?
Well actually , No ... was hoping it would throw something up to make it easier, bummer, well maybe not as no codes is a good sign really...... it may just be a fault that pops up when a sensor slips but doesn't do it enough to throw a code that stays around.....

Going over your OP, only from stand still, thats the clue....

1. If the car doesn't boot up properly when you push the button it may not be getting the right sensor readings when you select D and use the peddle...

2. Poor alternator/battery connections...

3. Accelerator signal fault... check plug on accelerator peddle.

4. TCM (module under passenger seat) may be on way out......

5. Having something connected to the OBD port, some units can interfere once you start driving...

6. Even try the old disconnect battery, say about 15mins, turn lights and switches on to discharge any residual energy in system...then hook back up. This basically gets rid of most old data in system and can get rid of problems, sometimes not always.

I would clean the MAP, check battery connections and alternator output, disconnect the TCM (module under seat)leave it sit for a bit to discharge then reconnect .... the module that controls the 8 speed is in the box..

Once the engine fires up not everything is operating, data is being gathered still, idle for a minute then all checks have been ticked off and your ready to go, sensors for temps, pressure, speed and other stuff all have to be ticked off and modules have to connect up fully so engine fires up, put on seat belt, check mirrors and then everything should be locked and loaded, only takes one slow sensor to have to resend a few times to link up and things fall over...

Try switch to ON, foot off brake then OFF once boot up has finished, then start with foot on brake, just to see if it still does it in that sequence....... the idea is to take note of whats happening when it does happen to narrow down the field of possibilities, even if you can't sort it yourself if you can point direct to a problem showing what is possibly the cause, a workshop can find it quicker, easier and Cheaper.............

All guess's but sort of the things I'd be looking at as I try to narrow it down..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 24-01-2023
Established Member

Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeDom View Post
Hi guys,

I've got a recent issue with my 2014 WK2 diesel. It randomly loses power and acceleration is almost non existent. Always happens from a stand still so never when vehicle is in motion. Sometimes restarting the car fixes the issue, usually after it has been off for a while. I've had the battery changed last week as roadside believed that was the issue but it has just occurred once again. Scanned with reader and no codes. Also strangely my keys wouldn't work today to unlock and lock the car, had to open and lock with the door handles. Any thoughts?

Has the alternator been changed or is it the original?
these are a known fault item, and while it seems it may be producing enough of volts, it still may not be charging your battery quickly enough which in turn causes the Gremlins to appear.
That would be why the New Battery would have seemed to fix the issue for a week or so.
Old 24-01-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post
Has the alternator been changed or is it the original?
these are a known fault item, and while it seems it may be producing enough of volts, it still may not be charging your battery quickly enough which in turn causes the Gremlins to appear.
That would be why the New Battery would have seemed to fix the issue for a week or so.
As far as I know it's still running the original alternator and I've had it for 4-5 years. A further update, as the key fobs were not working I changed out the batteries in both keys, no luck, the car wouldn't open. I also tried using the handles to open the car (which worked up until this arvo), no luck. Thought I'd try the key, unlocked drivers door and alarm went off.

Whilst car was immobilised (key fobs not detected) I tried to unlock the car with the drivers side controls. All buttons worked except the unlock function (lock & mirrors worked). Managed to stretch to backdoor and unlock manually so I could disconnect the battery. Drivers seat operated fine and managed to disconnet negative terminal. I drained for half hour whilst managing to clean the MAP sensor.

Reconnected battery and alarm went off, screen noted key fob not detected. Just locked car from drivers side control panel and closed the doors. Going to call roadside to test the alternator. Can this issue be caused by a buckled alternator?
Old 24-01-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

A couple of articles from the states may be of help;

https://www.kolossochryslerjeepdodge...ep-key-fob.htm

https://autozillo.com/jeep/jeep-gran...-not-detected/

https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/k...working.43018/
Old 24-01-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,332 Times in 768 Posts