different oils - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-04-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 369 Times in 193 Posts
Default different oils

Decided to try out a different oil in my 2014 diesel gc.
Ive been using a 5w-40 oil called Lubrimaxx for the last 3 years and its been great.
Yes, i know its not a c4 oil but as i had a 10 litre tub of Penrite enviro 5w-40 i thought i might as well use it as i know a heap of people use it.
Well,from the moment i changed the oil i thought the engine sounded a bit different with noise, specifically the lifter noise was a bit louder.
Thought i was imagining things so left the oil in for 800km or so but it still sounded noisey although the car ran fine.
Decided to drop the Penrite oil and put my regular Lubrimaxx oil in and low and behold the engine is quite as a mouse again.
Technically they are both fully synthetic 5w-40 with the same specs but they run very differently in the car !!
Old 26-04-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,987 Times in 2,353 Posts

I have noticed differences like that myself in same specced oils, have run Penrite, Castrol C3 oils and now running Nulon 10W40 CJ4 which is E9 .... engine is quieter.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 26-04-2023
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I have noticed differences like that myself in same specced oils, have run Penrite, Castrol C3 oils and now running Nulon 10W40 CJ4 which is E9 .... engine is quieter.
I used Nulon in another car i had for years. Ran well on it.
What is E9 ?
I suppose using 10w-40 is fine for engines with a few km’s on them and it appears thats Nulons only CJ4 oil that i could see near the correct weight.
Might try the Nulon next change.
Old 26-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,158 Times in 613 Posts

Yeah...in my experience the 5.7 Hemi in my WH in particular I found Nulon quietened down the lifter noise a fair bit as opposed to the other oils I had tried.
I have not tried Nulon in this diesel, but with the last one Penrite was better...

The differences in the specs are the Nulon 5w 40 has a higher viscosity at 40c of 82.5 where Penrite's 5w 40 at 40c is 68, the Viscosity Index though of Nulon is 164 as opposed to Penrite's 197.
At 100c Nulon's viscosity is 13.31, Penrite's is 13, so very similar viscosity at engine operating temp.

Nulon's TBN or Total Base Number which is a good indicator of the base oil used is a much lower 7.2, Penrite's is 9.6.
A higher TBN generally indicates an oil will have longer lasting properties of diluting and suspending acids and impurities in the engine oil.

Nulon 5w 40's TBN fell by 69.9 over 400 hours, Penrite fell 55 over the same time frame, so the Penrite holds up longer, plainly imo they use a very different base oil.

Nulon's Sulphated Ash content is .8, Penrite's .77.

I have used Penrite Enviro + 10w 40 in my Jeep for a fair while, the low temp flow rate is not much different at the very mild lows we get in Qld. 10w is -25, 5w is -30 or something like that. I had an oil sample tested a while back out of the last diesel at 5,000 kms and the results were very good, that was with the Penrite.

In my uneducated layman's opinion, either oil would be fine, but again I think 10,000 kms is far too long to leave any oil in newer diesel engines...12 months...forget it...especially given owners "stretch" the mileage for convenience. Regardless of advances in oil quality...especially with all the hang on crud diesels now have for cutting emissions...along with the fact the engine ECU pumps extra diesel in to the cylinders after ignition to force it out to the DPF to increase the heat in the DPF for a burn, which means more diesel ends up in the oil further diluting it!

Last edited by Jeeper6; 26-04-2023 at 07:50 AM.
Old 26-04-2023
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
Yeah...in my experience the 5.7 Hemi in my WH in particular I found Nulon quietened down the lifter noise a fair bit as opposed to the other oils I had tried.
I have not tried Nulon in this diesel, but with the last one Penrite was better...

The differences in the specs are the Nulon 5w 40 has a higher viscosity at 40c of 82.5 where Penrite's 5w 40 at 40c is 68, the Viscosity Index though of Nulon is 164 as opposed to Penrite's 197.
At 100c Nulon's viscosity is 13.31, Penrite's is 13, so very similar viscosity at engine operating temp.

Nulon's TBN or Total Base Number which is a good indicator of the base oil used is a much lower 7.2, Penrite's is 9.6.
A higher TBN generally indicates an oil will have longer lasting properties of diluting and suspending acids and impurities in the engine oil.

Nulon 5w 40's TBN fell by 69.9 over 400 hours, Penrite fell 55 over the same time frame, so the Penrite holds up longer, plainly imo they use a very different base oil.

Nulon's Sulphated Ash content is .8, Penrite's .77.

I have used Penrite Enviro + 10w 40 in my Jeep for a fair while, the low temp flow rate is not much different at the very mild lows we get in Qld. 10w is -25, 5w is -30 or something like that. I had an oil sample tested a while back out of the last diesel at 5,000 kms and the results were very good, that was with the Penrite.

In my uneducated layman's opinion, either oil would be fine, but again I think 10,000 kms is far too long to leave any oil in newer diesel engines...12 months...forget it...especially given owners "stretch" the mileage for convenience. Regardless of advances in oil quality...especially with all the hang on crud diesels now have for cutting emissions...along with the fact the engine ECU pumps extra diesel in to the cylinders after ignition to force it out to the DPF to increase the heat in the DPF for a burn, which means more diesel ends up in the oil further diluting it!
Geez, thats an in depth knowledge. Good to know.
I wonder why my lifters were alot louder with the penrite?
From what i gather c3 oil has better lubrication but worse for soot.
cj4 better for less soot but not as good lubrication ???!!
Old 26-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,987 Times in 2,353 Posts

Most that is techo jibberish to me @Jeepers6 but by the same token the Nulon 10W40 and most CJ4 oils I noticed are noted as HD diesel oil while the C3 oils are not.....

The ACEA E9 is the latest euro spec above C3 while the API CJ4 has upped to CK4 and is equivalent to E9, if you look at the graphs for 5W or 10W they mean stuff all here in our climate however the 30 or 40 does as we certainly are operating near the top of the 30 band, hence why I went to 40 soon as I got mine............

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 26-04-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 133 Times in 83 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

It is a pity that they don't produce a 5W-50 that would give extra protection for those times when the engine is really working hard and hot.