EGR coolant hose. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2023
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default EGR coolant hose.

Finally got around to replacing the EGR cooler hose. I used the Mackay CH998C hose that I found at Supercheap, about $20. I had to cut about 25 mm off the narrow end and 5 mm off the larger. It fitted perfectly! I used proper Trident hose clip to put it back on.
Taking the original hose with those bloody spring type clip off was a total pain until I contacted Dannie at at GDL in Sydney and asked him what they do. He said they used a Mishimoto remote action hose clip tool $26 plus postage…… worth its weight in gold…… wish I knew about it when doing the other hoses.
You do have to remove all the firewall “ stuff” to replace it and do it all from above. I also slid a sleeve of heat protecting product on it that I had left over from doing the other hoses, as it is very close to the exhaust and manifold.
Hopefully I will be a bit more relaxed next trip, though I do carry a spare thermostat bypass fitting and I think I might also purchase a transfer case module for “ just in case” !

Last edited by johnnywal; 19-05-2023 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Delete photo.
Old 20-05-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,965 Times in 2,338 Posts

What sort of condition was the old hose like ?????

Mishimoto have some really cool gear for sure..........

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 20-05-2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old 20-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Drover the EGR coolant hose was still in very good condition at 100000 km and 9 years.
For peace of mind it was still worth it!
Old 29-05-2023
I just registered

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default All the little hoses.

I have just finished doing the hoses. The EGR was the last and I found it the worst. I had bought a Mopar badged one from Aliexpress and fitted the small metal tube end first and could not get the bolts in as the hose was slightly off angle and ended up fitting one bolt on the plastic elbow then the small end then second bolt and torque it up.
Well it pissed out coolant from the o ring and I ended up refitting the original for the time being. I ended up taking the bonnet gas strut and relay for the O2 sensor out of the way and gave me just enough access to get it on easy enough without dropping it or bolts.
The one I bought looked ok quality but I think the moulding face is too high and dont get enough o ring seal.
I have a remote spring clip remover but still was difficult as my clips were just the wrong angle to get it on them.

Last edited by chalkyaj; 29-05-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 29-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

The spring clips facing the wrong way is either "Murphy's law" or done deliberately in the engine assembly when it is out of the vehicle and everything is easily reached. The Mackay hose off the Ford V8 is perfect and cheap.
I fitted the hose to the plastic fitting that I had removed first and adjusted the angle before tightening up the hose clip. I then attached it to the metal pipe and did up the little bolts on the plastic fitting before tightening the other hose clip around the metal pipe end. There were no leaks!
Old 29-05-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 201 Times in 107 Posts

If you have a tune to disable EGR. There is a kit to block that coolant hose and also the one at the front of cooler.
https://noecodelete.com/product/egr-...-blocking-kit/
Old 30-05-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 301 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy2001 View Post
If you have a tune to disable EGR. There is a kit to block that coolant hose and also the one at the front of cooler.
https://noecodelete.com/product/egr-...-blocking-kit/
They are good quality bits of kit. I have the EGR delete and he was pretty easy to get a hold of.