P02E8 Diesel intake air flow “a” position sensor circuit low - Page 20 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2023
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 373 Times in 211 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

[quote=drover;1694551]I have only seen the pics of the fitting, I don't like the plastic stuff and that brass fitting is stock air line stuff, you can get the bits and make some yourself instead of stuffing around with genuine rubbish, once you have the thread size and line diameter its easy, I would be getting some air line and joiners for just in case

You also need to check/know if you're dealing with parallel threads & not tapered threads. The OEM Jeep male & female threaded fittings looks they use a parallel thread hence the machined surface for the fitted "O" ring to sit in/seal in & the VOSS catalogue diagrams indicate metric parallel threads.

Last edited by TR Laredo; 01-12-2023 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 105 Times in 73 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I have only seen the pics of the fitting, I don't like the plastic stuff and that brass fitting is stock air line stuff, you can get the bits and make some yourself instead of stuffing around with genuine rubbish, once you have the thread size and line diameter its easy, I would be getting some air line and joiners for just in case ......
Using thread tape you might need a few winds more than you think but keep the tape away from the end of the fitting, on gas/air lines/water I use this stuff, its a liquid and does a magic job better than thread tape I reckon also good as a thread lock for bolts... fit, let set and then all good... never over tighten brass fittings, when you want that last nip hold the spanner close to the bolt head so you don't use gorilla grip and snap things off, a little bit at a time, slow and easy wins out.

I still have the leaking situation from the replaced elbow. The leak is so much that you can leave your finger at the bottom connector of elbow (the one that goes on top of the suspension) and feel the air come out of it. This is despite putting a fair amount of loctite threadseal that was provided by the guy.

The thread on this made up elbow seems to go a bit deaper so the O ring was not plush once screwed in. I tightened it a lot more last night desparately trying to get the leak to stop and it has reached the end of the tightening as I cannot tighten and still leaks. The top part where the black hose connects seems to be good and sealed. I know this should be much better than the genuine one as that is plastic but really struggling to get a seal here. The genuine one had the bottom end seal working easily and with no thread seal requirement. Worried to put any more product to the internal side of the thread.

Also noticed the hose that I pushed into the elbow cannot be taken out anymore. It is like a one way lock like fitting. Pretty screwed here too so which means I have to somehow get this to seal.

Is there a product that I could apply from the outside around the O ring once screwed in so it seals up? Like a layer of silicone maybe? I know this sounds so dodgy but anything to get this to not loose air now because I am loosing a lot of nitrogen at this rate and probably have nothing other than normal air in it now everytime the compressor has to suck in ambient air to raise the front end.

Also noticed on the side that is fine, if you touch and press the elbow joint a bit from the top it will leak some air. But if you leave it its fine. So this could be signs of ageing elbows and crappy quality they used. I did notice in the last few months there is a slight sag in height when i get to the car in the morning. And as soon as you start, it builds that up in a second quickly.

Still desperately trying ebay/amazon guys to see if they can post something express, i know it is the shit quality ones but if this one doesn't seal - i have no other choice. Might have to get one of you guys to post me one because I really need to be able to move this car and do some work in about a weeks time. Can't afford to get the compressor to over work to fill every few minutes it would burn out.

You can see the white thread seal around the O ring which isn't helping. I am seeing if we can apply something around it. It is not a moving part so I believe we could do something?
Old 01-12-2023
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

I think you'll find their is sufficient difference in the thread forms between the two brass fittings (won't screw all the way together by hand before using spanners to tighten up on the O ring) & that is what's causing the leak. Where the nylon tube goes into the fitting try pushing & holding it in with one hand & at the same time push in the the round collar that it feeds through when it enters the fitting - this may release the hose.

Might also be a good idea to ring All Grand Cherokee to see if they can express post a couple of OEM fittings as I think the nitrogen system will need a purge & top up to get it all working properly again

Cheers
Old 01-12-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 846 Times in 474 Posts

Maybe have a look at the Mercedes air bag fittings very similar airbags.My GC Overland fitting will leak a little nitrogen if I wobble it! There is a good you tube video of how to change these connectors without loosing any nitrogen by taking front link sensors off etc
Old 01-12-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 105 Times in 73 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Laredo View Post
I think you'll find their is sufficient difference in the thread forms between the two brass fittings (won't screw all the way together by hand before using spanners to tighten up on the O ring) & that is what's causing the leak. Where the nylon tube goes into the fitting try pushing & holding it in with one hand & at the same time push in the the round collar that it feeds through when it enters the fitting - this may release the hose.

Might also be a good idea to ring All Grand Cherokee to see if they can express post a couple of OEM fittings as I think the nitrogen system will need a purge & top up to get it all working properly again

Cheers
Yeah this brass fitting is a custom made one I got off another Jeep place here. Nobody here has this part nor the wreckers. Amazon/Ebay does have the part but its slow postage. I will ring All Grand Cherokee and see if they can send some.

I am going to try applying some more threadseal tonight and attempt to get this one sealed. The top hose fit is snuggly fit and no leaks from there. It is just the small gap between the O ring. Just worried I might overtighten it. It was way up when i started but multiple attempts at doing this I have now tightened it to the point the O ring now touches the bottom receiving end. And a bit of thread seal might help. The guy who sold me this said this will only work with threadseal and when I called him today said try it without the O ring and threadseal. The O ring on this is from my older part.

My other side (non-broken) elbow connector if you push it hard enough up, leaks a bit but if left alone seems fine. So yeah that is probably due too.

My real worry is the amount of nitrogen I lost now. Probably none left and it is only air that is running through. Does the restoring nitrogen a very big job that only Jeep dealerships can do? Or someone with the tools and Jscan/alpha OBD could do it too? Also not sure how long is bad to run the system with less nitrogen in the mix as I might not be able to get that topped up soon.
Old 01-12-2023
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Unless you've had everyday experience working on repairing & servicing automotive air suspension systems then purging / topping up the nitrogen system is best left to an automotive workshop who understands what the system needs to operate reliably
Old 01-12-2023
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,326 Times in 764 Posts

All Grand Cherokee for the bits..Express Post has them in your hands in 2x days max....REAL Suspension shop for the drain n regas....job solved...feel for ya mate....sometimes when we try to improve things we get the opposite result...DONT feel solo on that one....I have successfully cost myself 5-6k servicing the tranny...I didnt do the service but my attempt to 'improve' the car has cost me...you arent the first and wont be the last....GOOD LUCK

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Post New Thread  Reply