HPFP Recall in the US - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 2 Weeks Ago
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith555 View Post
I’ve already done the sending of ownership form to Jeep/FCA when I got this Jeep so hopefully it’s up to date on their system.

Tempted to send an email and see if I get a response…

Will definitely try to do the fuel filter changes more often from now on..

Didn’t know the diesel fuel had so much variation in the US compared to us..
Way back I put some links up, for a change not a Jeep thing, many vehicle brands affected, the Yank fuel unlike ours and Europe has less lubrication and that combined with possibly poor priming after filter change where aerated fuel is let into the HP pump causes wear, a problem which can occur in all CRDs, air in the fuel in the HPP does cause a lot of wear but in this case can be really bad ..... I'm just waiting for the letter from FCA an like the delaminated timing bit hope it doesn't happen to mine....... In the meantime Im throwing in Fuel Doctor at each fill to just add a little bit of extra slick to the fuel, can't hurt ........ if the fuel filters are changed and the mechanic isn't up on the procedure to prime the fuel lines then thats how damage could occur, they are NOT a cranking prime system . I wouldn't be panicking about it though......
I travel a fair bit and often its a take it or leave it fuel choice, using a fuel app does allow me to better plan refill points though and I always carry a spare set of filters and a 27mm socket, the distribution distances in Australia means greater chance of getting crap in fuel and the sign out the front doesn't mean much really outside the city.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,150 Times in 610 Posts

Ditto...a bit of Fuel Doctor at each refuel...and as I travel too the tool kit has a 27mm socket and I always carry spare fuel filters...
Old 1 Weeks Ago
CrawlerStar

Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Ever since you guys mentioned Fuel Doctor, I have been watching the videos online and I can't believe how much it does. Actually considering using some on my car. If I have never used it before, should I be going very little at a time? As I am thinking maybe more gunk might try to get pushed through the system or is it necessary to do this just before a fuel filter change? But I can see on the video this stuff just breaks down even the solid particles into invisible stuff so it really should not get stuck anywhere if I am not wrong?
Old 1 Week Ago
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,324 Times in 762 Posts

No chance of any 'chunks' going through your fuel system...orifices are 'microscopic'..filters will remove any 'gunk' before it goes 'up front'.

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 1 Week Ago
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,949 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijith555 View Post
Ever since you guys mentioned Fuel Doctor, I have been watching the videos online and I can't believe how much it does. Actually considering using some on my car. If I have never used it before, should I be going very little at a time? As I am thinking maybe more gunk might try to get pushed through the system or is it necessary to do this just before a fuel filter change? But I can see on the video this stuff just breaks down even the solid particles into invisible stuff so it really should not get stuck anywhere if I am not wrong?
Using Fuel Doctor, they advise to chuck in 500ml first tank to clean things up, thats tank, lines, injectors then just 1mm per litre on the next and subsequent refuels ................. its not going to harm anything, I use it in my boats fuel now and my vans diesel heater and actually it works better now and I thought it was snake oil at first...... anyway you just want the extra bit of lubrication it gives really and lack of lube or air bubbles in the fuel system is the main killer of HP fuel pumps Bosch or otherwise, your fuel from the tank is at around 50psi then at the HP pump it gets bounced up to around 30,000 psi, thats why air/water or dry running destroys them.

The most important thing in any diesel is filter changes regularly and thats fuel and oil, I do all mine at 10K km, some even at 5K km .........

Proper priming is part of the key;
1. Foot off brake.
2. Turn ignition to run.
3. Once boot up is complete turn off.....
4. repeat the above steps 6 times.

You can hear the fuel pump prime at boot up then stop, book says 3 times but I do 6 to make sure as sometimes 3 may not get it all out I have found ...

Then run engine for awhile or a run around the block.......... Do Not Dry Crank Engine, ever.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 1 Week Ago
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,150 Times in 610 Posts

If I haven't started my Jeep for a few days, I always hit start without the foot on the brake to ensure the system is primed...will hear the fuel pump whine as it primes, then after a few seconds I do the foot on brake thing...

I tend to add Fuel Doctor every second tank as I very rarely run it below about a 1/3 tank, so there will always be remnants of the doctor in the remaining fuel. It does require such a very small amount to be added anyway...
Old 1 Week Ago
CrawlerStar

Liked 104 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the info guys I am down to go get a fuel doctor bottle soon and give it a try. Atleast it will prolong the life of the internals and things will run smoother. Can’t deny the benefits and learnt a lot watching that video especially saying not to fill up when a tanker is filling the station tank or has been recently..

I think I am going to use the emergency fuel filler funnel found in the spare wheel area to add the fuel doctor in if the bottle doesn’t make it easy.

When it comes to servicing I am a guy who has always done what the log books said at those internals..only did the filter last service as it was on the service manual for the particular interval and wasn’t going to do if not mentioned on the next one..but will do it on all services now..that’s the engine oil filter and fuel filters. Can see the importance on diesels now. Mine is at 92K now and probably has had the least amount of fuel filter changes in its lifetime :/

Also I service once a year and most of the time the car has done around 10-15K by then yikes..as again I am following the service book that says it’s okay to do them at 20K or 1 year intervals..I can see you guys face palming your faces reading this

Last edited by vijith555; 1 Week Ago at 02:33 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply