2013 MY14 JGC ED getting hot after DPF & EGR delete - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 2 Weeks Ago
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2013 MY14 JGC ED getting hot after DPF & EGR delete

Hi guys,

Bit of a back ground story. I was towing my van about a year ago and once stopped at the servo, just idling, my JGC over heated. Since then, I have nothing but issues. I have replaced my water pump, coolant reservoir, had a flush and reverse flush, replace the radiator sensor and fan and fixe some wiring, replaced the thermostat. Radiator looks fine, not dirty at all.
I had the DPF and EGR deleted since then oil goes to 103*C. I can't see the coolant temp but on the gauge on the dash it goes up to the second fat line when originally it would sit just above the first fat line.
I took it for a drive yesterday up a steep hill doing 60kms (the speed limit) and it heated to the second fat line.
It's like its lacking airflow. When I push the engine to go up hills it gets hot, when it's idling it stays hot. When I drive it starts to cool down.
It's not the head gasket, I've got none of the symptoms.
I'm at a loss, what else could it be?
Spark Plugs?
Any diesel experts or has anyone had similar issues?

Thank you
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 1,330 Times in 766 Posts

Silly question...but...have you renewed the transmission oil after it overheated ???
If the tranny oil 'cooked' then the engine will work 'harder' to provide drive...NOT saying its a solution....just a thought.
What temp does the evic show the tranny temp is at ???
They have a 'release' valve set at 80C....tranny oil then runs through the tranny cooler.
You have replaced MOST of the cooling system so time to start looking elsewhere for a 'source'

Only dumb people think their smart...rest of us learn everyday
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

Ohhh....and you should be able to get tge Coolant temp on your evic....just scroll down to Vehicle Info...it has coolant temp...then scroll down in that portal and the tranny temp is displayed

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

And its a bit of a mystery as to why it overheated when idling after towing...that is 'usually' a sign of Head Gasket...add tge bit where it 'cooled' down when travelling and that also is a sign of Head Gasket....hmmmmm

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

And...no spark plugs in a diesel fella

Old 2 Weeks Ago
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,975 Times in 2,347 Posts

My coolant sits around the middle of the gauge which is normally in the 96-100c range, if you get the Alfa OBD app you can tweak things so it will throw up SRT gauges and you can get coolant temp, oil temp and pressure, tranny temp....

I tow 2.8t and my temps towing are oil in the 105-108c, coolant floating in the 95-100c area,(middle of the gauge and up to the second fat line) when really working oil can go up to 115 but drops back quickly........... mine is an 8 speed though so tranny temps are irrelevant..........

My thoughts are the fan isn't operating to spec, turning but not enough when it gets hot it should be roaring if not thats probably it.... give the little knob on top of the thermostat a turn when running and see if coolant comes out or air.... not when it's at operating temp though .............. air in the cooling system can do that but it should have bled itself by now..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rock Munki

My mistake here thanks drover...the OP has a '14 model so it would be an 8spd.....my 'antiquated' gauge cluster doesnt have the 'fancy schmancy' ability to display the SRT Gauges, so the evic info I posted wont help.
Your thoughts of the fan 'roaring' are very relative....if he pulled up and the fan WASNT going FLAT OUT and it then cooked...then there is an issue with the fan speed....but...he has stated he has replaced almost everything....hmmmm
Head gasket failures in diesels are 'usually' pretty catasphoric due to combustion chamber pressures, so Im not leaning that way, even though 'some' of the symptoms point to it.
Even more confusing is the fact he has 'deleted' the DPF which also could have been a factor...a blocked DPF would cause similiar issues.
Strange one....

Last edited by FARWEST; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:25 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply