Water Pump Removal - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2002
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Removal

[img]graemlins/dunno.gif[/img] Can anyone help explain how I loosen the serpentine belt on my XJ (95) and are there any precautions I need to take when removing the water pump. Also, anyone have an idea of the cost of a pump. Thank you [img]graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

PS Best site I've ever come across for Jeep users.
Old 12-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

I did my pump about a year ago. At the highest point on the car you will see the adjuster it has a hexagon nut on the front this mechanism rotates to the right and down as you stand in front of the car, Use a large adjustable rench it takes a fair amount of force. I forget what it is called. Rotate that down to the right you will see how it works.
1/ Remove the electric fan and plastic cowl.
2/ Take the fan bolts out and remove it as well, loosen the bolts before taking the belt off other wise its hard to stop the fan rotating, its just the blades not the hole viscus assembly.
3/ Drop off the bash plate and splash pad under nieth as well this lets you get at one of the lower water pump bolts and allows more light to work with.
One of the bolts is hard to get at you will need a quarter drive set. I think there are three bolts only? maybe four. The pump may need a tap to get it to shift use a lump of wood NOT metal. Its then a prick to get the pump out you have to fiddle a lot but you will get it. Clean up the face of the pump and front of engine where it seats with a sharp blade and very very light sand paper do not use a file. There is no gasket so get some high temp sealer. A TIP practise getting the pump into position a few times, now apply the sealer bolt her up Firm then a pinch harder and thats it. A TIP when putting the belt back its easier to slide the belt over a smooth pulley, so make that the last pulley you try and get the belt over. Now have fun putting all the other stuff back [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I think my pump cost $247-00.
PS This is a lot to read but when you get into it its not that hard to do the water pump your self. Let me know how you get along.

[ 12 November 2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Jeepdownunder ]
Old 13-11-2002
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Jeepdownunder,
An excellent description...easy to follow. I really appreciate you spending the time to put this all down for me. I'll let you know how it all goes. By the way...my XJ is the same colour as yours and I prefer the black grill on yours to the chrome on mine...might change mine over.
Thanks again [img]graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]
Old 13-11-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Glad I could help. Its a bit of pricking around but its not to hard at all. Remember have a couple of practice runs putting the pump in place before you put on the sealer it'll save you getting it all over the place because you have to fiddle around manipulating the pump into position. Taking the fan blades off gives you room to move as well. Get a good quality sealer I used the Mopar Stuff for the job its very very good stuff. I actually wanted a chrome grill and head light bezels for my car. Do you live in Victoria? because I would like to see your XJ with the chrome front end, if not maybe a picture.

[ 13 November 2002, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Jeepdownunder ]
Post New Thread  Reply