Noisy front end - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-12-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Noisy front end

Hey All, [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

(Cherokee 95,auto)
I have some ratteling in the front suspension somwhere, noticed only when going over potholes.
It has a real loose metal sound and I cant find a thing.

Also I have a bloody squeaky front end, noticed especially when the radio is off and the window down..It sounds like the disks or break pads or something like that.. BUT i just had the disks machine. sound from the left side,

I have been told the front left hub is out by 30 thou which is whats causing the steering to vibrate a bit when lightly breaking, not the disks doing it as they have been machined.. it is more noticeable from 70kmph upwards.
(im slowly/quickly running outa cash)
[img]graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

PS. when the next Sydney Jeep Club meeting?.. i wana go! [img]graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Cheers - Merry Christmas - Happy New Year
Drive safe if you have to drive! [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
Old 22-12-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Noisy front end

Hi,

Just some of my experiences, use info if you think it will help.

I had similar untraceable rattles. Turned out, in my case to be the "D" rubbers that hold the sway bar to the body. The bar rattles against the bolt-on mounts. Very hard to see and check until you take the sway bar off.

BTW Jeep wanted $$$$ for each one. Try a local suspension place and get urethane ones that don't wear so much. The urethane is a little harder and sometimes creaks but lasts longer.

Another noise source can be shockie rubbers, if high milage worth replacing, should be cheap from local suspension shop. Better still fit new shockies.

If the noise is more of a clunk the suspension control arms may need to be re-torqued to spec. Maybe bushes are worn too, best to check. These bolts must be at torque setting or the bushes clunk. I complained many times about front rattle to Jeep. Even asked for bolts to be tightened. In the end I did it myself found two bolts done up but not very tight and all was fixed ( and has stayed that way).

I also had a track bar clunk. Just needed torque up the track bar bolts properly. This appears as a suspension clunk when swinging steering from left to right.

The brake caliper can rattle if the caliper mount rubbers are worn out. They are on the caliper mount pins and usually don't wear out unless high milage. I think they should be replaced when caliper overhaul is done, though I don't think many people do it, when I bought mine Jeep only had 3 of the four required... one had to come in from the US!
Brake pads can rattle too. There is some anti rattle "glue" you can use to stick them better to the caliper piston/mount to try to stop it. Can't remember if there is an anti-rattle spring in there. Most brake places chuck anti-rattle springs out, maybe check if there is meant to be one, if so fit it.

Squeaky front.

Often wheel bearing. Maybe have it checked as it comes as an assembly that is hundreds of $$$, especially from Jeep. Try aftermarket for better price.
Other common squeak is the front universal joints in the axle.

Good Luck.

Next SJC meet is first Wednesday in Feb. 7:30pm at Suburban4wd. Watch out for Billsta the raffle Nazi. See you there.
Old 24-12-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Noisy front end

Thanks DXJ, i will have a look at all you have sugested. I was thinking it was something around what you have said. Thanks for the reply dude.
Will see you at the feb meeting... i will be the FNG looking lost.. hehehehe
Old 07-01-2003
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Noisy front end

i heard that was expensive.. [img]graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] what should i look for? [img]graemlins/spinrhead.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Noisy front end

psss.. thanks for your post [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003
Full Flexer

Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Default Noisy front end

I had clunking in the front of my 95. When off road or when I hit pot holes or rough ground. Was the lower control arm bushes (Stuffed) It sounds like a kind of knocking sound.
Post New Thread  Reply