Can I expect Vibes - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-03-2003
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Default Can I expect Vibes

I'm going to put a small lift into my 2000 XJ this weekend and don't really expect vibes but who knows.

After geting some prices I've decided to keep it simple at the moment. The front is going up another 30mm and the rear 35mm for now. This will give me the same as a 55mm lift at the front and 60mm lift at the rear. Later on I plan to go a little higher, probably another 25mm at each end.

Anyway, should I expect vibes, will I need to shim the rear axle a few degrees, or should I just wait and see?

Cheers
Steve
Old 17-03-2003
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

You should not shim the rear axle unless you have made changes to the angle at the transfer case end as well like lowering it. What changes you make to one end you must balance by doing the same to the other. That is unless you change the uni type in the driveshaft at one end only like adding a Double Cardan joint!
I would recomend doing your own alignment after the lift like I show on my site because taking it to a shop they will not do the caster. This has a big effect on how well it will track on the road. Even ARB when fitting OME suspension at the factory here dont bother as I discovered when fixing up a 98 XJ that had been done there!
Take a look at my site for all that you need to know on fitting the lift and getting rid of any vibes that might surface.
Old 06-04-2003
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

hey steve..

How did the lift go? I'm looking at doing a 2-4 inch lift.. just wondering if youhad any vibes?

Cheers
Old 06-04-2003
So play on just play on

Well I ended up getting about 60mm in the front and 65mm in the back which is about 2.5inches in the rear. I had a slight vibration when it first went in but after loading it up and wheeling it the rear settled in and dropped a very small amount and now the mild vibes are gone.

It looks a lot better and wheels a lot better with even this smallish lift so it was worth while. I'm glad I didn't go with the 3" lift I looked at as I can't afford the SYE yet and it really would need it.

Of course this all refers to my 2000 model, yours and others experiences maybe different ;)

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-04-2003
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Cheers..

Now I have to get a lift!.. What did you use?
Old 07-04-2003
So play on just play on

I went with 30mm spacers from Auto Alliance and the Rancho add-a-leaf from the same place. Total was $366 and included delivery. It left them the same day as I ordered it and just did the credit card thing over the phone. Also bought a $1.99 rubber mallet from Kmart and cut it up for lower bumpstop spacers. Needed some silicon to stick it on.

All up it took about 4 hours to do the lot. Make sure you have a pair of clamps for taking apart the leaves, they also help when you put the clips (supplied in the kit) back on the leaves as they are a tight fit width wise, you'll know what I mean when you try them. Get a decent hacksaw for cutting down the bolt that goes though the leaves as well. I had a crappy one and had to do a run to the hardware store halfway through the rear.

Should add this lift is for a Sport and adds an extra 1" to 1.5" on top of the standard 1" lift. You really notice it next to a Limited with no lift at all especially with the 30" tyres

Cheers
Steve

[ 07 April 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Steve F ]
Post New Thread  Reply