Gen 3 in a TJ - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2002
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts
Default Gen 3 in a TJ

Dave,

I suggest ya shove your $$$ back into your pocket until you've got your TJ & done a bit more research.
If I won lotto I'd be looking at a 5.7LS1 with NV4500 & Atlas......BUT the reality is a well setup 6cyl with good gearing hauls arse and climbs walls.

SOOOOO:
What is it that you're planning to do with this TJ? (Comps, Play Hard, Street, etc)...
What mods are you thinking of so far?
Where abouts are you located?
Old 08-10-2002
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Default Gen 3 in a TJ

North area of Perth, WA. Basically I'm planning to see where I go, start with the local area, go out with the local Forum blokes etc I thought a V8 would be nice as the 3F in the Cruiser (60 series) is fairly gutless, and I couldn't even climb a small dune once. I know Standard Wrangler engines are more powerful, I'll see how I go. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2002
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gen 3 in a TJ

TJDave...way too much effort in my opinion. I could spend tens of thousand dollars on my TJ before i swapped engines.

The 4.0L donk is no racer but its not a slouch either. And with aprropriate gearing like wooders said it does pretty well.

My TJ is currently totally stock apart from 31 inch Goodyear MT/R's. I am totally amazed at how well it does with such a stock set up. Chuck in an Old Man Emu 2.5inch lift and your set for a while. Then just save up for the next step of a body lift and re-gearing before you go to 33 inchers. At the same time as you re gear for 33's you need new carriers so get some airlockers then.

You'll have an unstopable (close to) rig and empty pockets but it'll be worth it.

IMHO skip worrying about the engine. Much more important stuff to worry about.
Old 09-10-2002
Time to tinker

Default Gen 3 in a TJ

OK then TJD, instead of worrying about the donk.....Start with how big a tyre would you like to run, then lets get onto the suspension, gearing and lockers topics instead [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Default Gen 3 in a TJ

What are the standard size tyres (inches) on the wrangler sport? and how big can you go before you have to change diff ratios/rims, my idea is to keep the standard rims with as large tyres as I can get in them without changing diff ratios. once I get air lockers, then new ratios, tyres, and perhaps new rims, with a small lift thrown in somewhere.
whats the effect of having diff ratios suited towards larger tyres, the using smaller tyres during the week? (as daily driver)or would I need to get large size thin tyres similar to those standard on early 70 series landcruisers (or dad's jeep), just for on the road, and use proper offroad tyres when Wheeling.
Old 09-10-2002
Time to tinker

Default Gen 3 in a TJ

Stock tyre size is 225/75x15 (approx 28"x8.5"). IMHO the stock gearing is too high even for these puny donuts. However people have been known to run as big as 35" meats on the same crappy 3.07 ratio....So where it becomes unacceptable depends on your personal preference (& wallet)....

A stock height TJ will fit 31x10.5" meats with minor rubbing at full stuff and on the lower control arms (adjust the steering stops & bumpstops to fix).

The largest tyre you can practically fit on the stock rims would be 33x10.5....Although I have known people to push beyond that, IMHO 33x10.5 would be the max.

However the key is really how big do you want your meats - this then determines you lift size (& to a lesser degree the rest of the setup) and also detremines the required ratios and driveline mods.
Post New Thread  Reply