Front Diff bearing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Front Diff bearing

Well the 4.56 ratios and detroits got insatlled today. Only had a 10 minute drive home so far in the traffic so no comments yet on handling changes... but during the removal of the old gear the diff shop rang me to say the case hardening on some of the bearings had pitted and fallen off leaving metal through out the housing. I had planned to try and reuse the bearings since they are only 36K old but replaced them all for safety.

Anyone else who has changed their internals found the same thing? There were no strange diff noises and really it has has quite a sedate life so far.

I guess it would have held out another 11 months till the warranty expired ;)

The rear was ok.
Old 02-08-2002
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good toy here most things went OK.
Got a couple of quick question for you.

1. Are the Detroits both the same or is the front different to the rear? I know they make different versions so which ones did you go for?

2. Any reason for choosing detroits? I have always thought the detroit would be my choice but have been thinking about ARB's lately. Not that I can afford either.

3. How much did it cost? If you dont mind saying offcourse.

Can't wait to see how they go offroad.
Old 03-08-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
1. Are the Detroits both the same or is the front different to the rear? I know they make different versions so which ones did you go for?
They are both the newer 'soft locker' version of the No Spin/Detroit (SL part number). Meant to be more forgiving on the street. Time will tell.
http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm#nospin
Quote:
2. Any reason for choosing detroits? I have always thought the detroit would be my choice but have been thinking about ARB's lately. Not that I can afford either.
Originally for cost reason I was going for Lock-Rights - but by the time I added in the price of new carriers to allow the ratio change, it was similar money to getting ARBs/Detroits. Then I was going ARBs, but $$$.

The other thing I liked about autolockers over ARBs was the fact that they are not a spool - possibly detroits put less stress on the axles than ARBs when turning???
I did a lot of surfing and decided the cheapest option for me was detroits from the US (I could get various people to carry them back and use their duty free allowances).

Quote:
3. How much did it cost? If you dont mind saying offcourse.
Prices below are $US inc US domestic freight to the hotel(s)
4.56 front $140
4.56 rear $148
Note this does not include install kits
Detroit front $424
Detroit rear $505

Local install including fluids etc was quoted at $755 but ended up being $1000 after replacing all the front bearings etc. Would have had these if I had bought the install kits but at only 36000kms I thought I could reuse stuff.

All of these parts were bought in on 4 different trips by various friends and colleagues using their duty free allowance and with the $50 rule etc, Customs did bother to collect any extra duty.

Unless you can get free international freight, it is probably not worth shopping for this heavy stuff OS.

[ 03 August 2002, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: mattc ]
Old 04-08-2002
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just had a price from the US to ship ratios and install kits.

Everybody sit down and get prepared for this.

$250 US via UPS worldwide express.

Guess I need a cheaper carrier (ie handluggage).
Old 04-08-2002
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Prices have just gone up a little from Randy's:

D30 4.10 = $160
D30 Case = $70
D44 4.10 = $130
D44 Trak-lok case for 3.92 and up = $62
D30 Install Kit = $70
D44 Install Kit = $102

Total = $594USD or roughly AUD$1100

My bag was over weight(32 kilos max) so I had to pull out the install kits and mail them back. Sent it Sea Mail cuz I won't have the $$ to install them for a couple months anyways. Cost $37USD to ship the two kits.
Old 05-08-2002
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maxman, and be prepared for 10%GST and 15%tarrif on unaccompanied goods... maybe they would get through untaxed but I wouldn't rely on it.
Old 05-08-2002
Certifiable Goat Wrangler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SolarMatt - Detroit brother !! You'll be spent when you try em on the dirt dude !

But you forgot to mention the best part of Detroits..

..no girly fart sounds on the trail when you dis/engage em

;) ;) ;)
Post New Thread  Reply