LPG Conversion - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-11-2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default LPG Conversion

Appologies if this has been asked before, did a quick search but couldnt find a useful thread.

Has anyone recently done an LPG conversion on a Cherokee? Got a 99XJ and the petrol costs are really starting to kill me, wondering what the costs are, and how the chero runs on gas.

Cheers
Old 23-11-2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about this also...I have seen somewhere that it costs around $2500 for a good conversion and works well with a "flat" tank underneath the body. I saw another Cherokee at my local dealership service center today and the guy servicing it says the owner has had his conversion for over two years. He had some inital problems with the motor running on petrol after it was put on, but since that has been straightened out he's had no problems. I've only just bought my Cherokee and so far I've been getting 15.1L/100km around town, I haven't worked it out for a highway trip yet.
Old 23-11-2004
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Iv'e had my ZJ on dual fuel for a long time now. Filled it today and it took over 90 litres. Still had a 2/3 tank full of ULP.
Running cost are comparable to a small 4 cylinder. About $30 to fill up and there is little difference in noticable power in the Grand. You will notice a difference in the XJ and the conversion is close to $2,370.00 (converting the Wifes Jeep).

Total fuel is 74 litres usable in the LPG tank and another 45 of ULP.

Wouldn't be without it. CJ10 is dual fuel as well and with the 253 V8 carrys about 150 litres of fuel, however the FSJ is the other way with 120 liters of ULP and 70 of LPG.

If you are keeping the vehicle for a goodly number of k's then go LPG - it's well worth it.
Old 24-11-2004
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have absolutely no room under the bonnet for a converter and all the other LPG stuff
What with twin batteries and compressor.
To get decent water capacity for washers I have made an 8 litre tanks that site inside the bullbar, and do not have to lift bonnet to fill it.
Pictures will follow.
Old 24-11-2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the feedback and OzJeeper, its a bit pricier then I had expected but I should have guessed. I'm getting about 400km's per tank using PULP and filling up every 6 days or so which is getting pretty expensive. Now just have to do the calculations to see how long it would take to pay itself off...I'm guessing a good few years??

I saw an XJ on gas the other day but the gas cyliner was hanging really low at the back of the car, hardly had any clearance, didnt look too good for off-roading.
Old 24-11-2004
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

done complete oposite i took lpg off my car when i got it 2 yrs ago
i dont like it to much and yes the tank did hang low that was one
of the reson it com off no i dont have the lpg sys any more chucked it
out as soon as it was off
Old 24-11-2004
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Iv'e never had a problem with the tank hitting in the Grand. The Full Size was a problem, but in any Jeep a decent lift kit will diminish that problem.

If you put 70 litres of ULP in a tank thats $71.40 out of your wallet. ($1.02 cpl)
If you put 70 litres of LPG in a tank thats $33.60 out of your wallet. (.48 cpl)

If I figure correctly, thats every second week you get to run free of charge. However there is a small difference in fuel usage between LPG and ULP so, but the saving are still considerable.
You need to look at the savings over time and people will say that you never get your conversion money back. Partially true BUT you notice it right away when you pull into a filling station and only pay half. The conversion will add value to the resale value so you don't lose out entirely.
Best thing is to consider your running costs. If you want to lower them go LPG. Pay out the conversion cost and forget that dollar amount is my advise.
If you want a better 4WD then departure angle is a problem. Just another factor to consider. Lift kit/bigger tyres will see a better result but it's more cash for mods.

back to you