New to the game, help please - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2005
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New to the game, help please

how you doin guys? the names John, i'm new here. i'm looking to buy a 97 wrangler sport what should i look for when buying a wrangler i wouldn't have a clue when it comes to cars.
Old 06-02-2005
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

look for a post posted by Leatherneck a few days ago or use a search. Been hundreds of these questions. His post got heaps of replies
Old 10-02-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: New to the game, help please

gday john i have had my wrangler 97 mod for the last 2 years and love every bit of it. i have a soft top but would rather a hard top.im running 32" and 33" tyres but havent done the diffs yet thats next on the card. fuel econemy isnt the best only getting about 350 km per tank with the 32" and 300km with the 33" tyres.but deeply recomend it if you love 4wd dont get if you dont go 4wd.
Old 12-02-2005
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only thing I can say that I would do different if I did it all again is buy a HARD TOP just about everyone here will say they love their soft top TJ but I am sure they would snap up a hard top and doors if they had the spare cash.

Jeep do a dual top thats pretty cool

You also have to take fuel into account Jeeps have four stomachs just like cows the difference is cows eat grass and their own poo (but only when it is on the grass they are eating, very funny to watch) where as jeeps eat fuel mine eats about 70l every 250-280km but I do drive like an idiot.

If you plan on doing up your jeep plan on spending between $4000 and $20000 to get it up high I will list a few things that are comon for Jeepers to get when lifting their Jeep.

tyres $250ea
rims $300ea
flares $900set
lift $1000-$7000
sye $1000
drivesaft $650
ratios $700
Lockers or centres $300-$2200
full bar work $1300-$4500
winch $1600
spotties $50-$2000
cb $80-$600
ect sorry I have had enough of listing stuff but there are lots of post just do a search.

worst case for price you should be able to buy stuff alot cheaper if you place a post first and ask people how much they paid and where they got it from.

you can get away without get some things like sye if you don't have the dollars or you don't go to high.

hope this has been some help if you want anymore info place a post this place is a great source of info just take it (including mine) with a pinch of salt.
bumper sticker (hardcore accessory)
Old 12-02-2005
HydroKing

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone TJ
The only thing I can say that I would do different if I did it all again is buy a HARD TOP just about everyone here will say they love their soft top TJ but I am sure they would snap up a hard top and doors if they had the spare cash.

Jeep do a dual top thats pretty cool

You also have to take fuel into account Jeeps have four stomachs just like cows the difference is cows eat grass and their own poo (but only when it is on the grass they are eating, very funny to watch) where as jeeps eat fuel mine eats about 70l every 250-280km but I do drive like an idiot.

If you plan on doing up your jeep plan on spending between $4000 and $20000 to get it up high I will list a few things that are comon for Jeepers to get when lifting their Jeep.

tyres $250ea
rims $300ea
flares $900set
lift $1000-$7000
sye $1000
drivesaft $650
ratios $700
Lockers or centres $300-$2200
full bar work $1300-$4500
winch $1600
spotties $50-$2000
cb $80-$600
ect sorry I have had enough of listing stuff but there are lots of post just do a search.

worst case for price you should be able to buy stuff alot cheaper if you place a post first and ask people how much they paid and where they got it from.

you can get away without get some things like sye if you don't have the dollars or you don't go to high.

hope this has been some help if you want anymore info place a post this place is a great source of info just take it (including mine) with a pinch of salt.
If you plan on lifting it then it's gonna cost quite a few $$$. The above mentioned things lift, flares, sye, rims, ratios, lockers, winch etc are just accessories and you should keep away from buying modified TJs - buy the stockist TJ you can get. This will help ensure it's not been thrashed offroad.

Just make sure it's checked over by a good mechanic, check the bashplates underneath for big scars/dints. Get the mech to check rear drums for wear as they clog up with mud easily and also check the front discs as they rust away pretty quickly. Get the radiator pressure tested as they are a metal & plastic design and where they are seamed they tend to wear due to the heat expansion and over time leaks are common. The only fix is an aftermarket all metal tank (mines been replaced when 1.5 years old, but under warranty so it WILL leak again ).

Has it got reasonable tyres? Unless you want to change them anyway...

Pull up the carpet to see if there's water under the front passenger floor (leaking aircon) or sand etc under the back (beach work)

Above all test drive it and make sure there's no wobbles or weird noises (marbles sounds in the gearbox is normal). Make sure the gearbox is smooth and quick to change - remember it's american so it likes to be 'tickled' into position rather than forced like japanese gearboxes. Get it out on the HWY if possible to check for vibes at 100klm.

You may want to keep in your budget - or for further down the track, a softop replacement. Most older TJ owners (pre 2000) only really complain about their softtop because it's old, saggy, leaky, torn etc. A new softtop will make even an older TJ feel like a whole new car to some people. Softtops with regular use (up and down at least once a week/fortnight) should get about 5 years use before you need to think about replacing it but it is a replaceable item so don't worry if you test drive it and it's too noisy or leaks or whatever as current new softops feel like hardtops! But they do cost upwards of $1000 (but worth it)

Cheers
Old 12-02-2005
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Silverstone TJ and Jeeps thanks alot for the advice i've already made the deal with the guy and luckily all of the above mentioned were A ok. mods sound good, but not until i get the wallet to a reasonable thickness again.
Old 12-02-2005
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstone TJ
I agree.. but you can keep those horrible full doors
cant stand them after having half doors.. but its what you get use to as well..

congrats on the purchase dewd!