XJ 2.5TD Servicing - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-11-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default XJ 2.5TD Servicing

G'day all,

Just finished a major service on the XJ. First point for other TD owners. I found it difficult sourcing an aftermarket fuel filter. Ryco (Z625) is apparently being withdrawn (only 2 left in QLD) and as far as I know Supercheap / Repco do not have an alternative. At $73 against $120 it is worth checking out. I figure after this one is shot a new filter system may be required???

Being a new Jeep owner I was a little surprised at Jeep (Brisbane) quotes for servicing. $350 for a minor and $1100 for a major. I was able to get all the brake and clutch fluid, motor, gearbox, diffs, and transfer case oils (inc 20L Shell Rimula), air filter, fuel filter, and oil filter for under $300 plus about four hours work which inc brakes, coolant, battery etc. Thats about $800 labour for Jeep. I should have been a mechanic!

I'm still checking over the basic package and getting the XJ sorted out and worn parts replaced before looking at setting it up properly.

In the future I would like to give it a lift and some decent rubber, get a snorkel, winch and winch bar and set up the rear with an external spare, auxillary battery and a couple draws. The Milford barrier goes without saying after watching the ventilator turned off on a four year old boy who was fatally injured by computer equipment in a car crash. I hope to use it for extended camping trips and recreational 4WDing.

Next step though is the axle and diff bearings and free wheel hubs for the front. I figure I can then service the hub bearings myself instead of buying new hubs each time (also saves fuel, wear and tear - interested to know your thoughts on this).

I have picked up a lot of great info from you and hope I can return the favour as I discover more about my XJ.
Old 14-11-2005

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

I get my Fuel filter from here you can give them a call and they will ship it up for you.
their service is great.

http://www.sydneyfilters.com.au
Old 14-11-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro
I get my Fuel filter from here you can give them a call and they will ship it up for you.
their service is great.

http://www.sydneyfilters.com.au

Yep - same here.

Also check out Airflow in Victoria for a snorkel for the diesels. You'll find a couple on this website (me and Kyro for starters ). And ive just finished fitting a second battery in mine too. Will post pics when i get around to it.

Old 14-11-2005
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Filter element is a Raycor 'R20S' or 'R20T' ( t is 10micron S is 2 micron ). I use R20S others I know use R20T.

The whole filter/water separator assembly is a Raycor 'Diesel Spin-on series' Model '230RP12x' where 'x' is 2 for 2 micron or 10 for 10 micron filter.

Cheers

DXJ
Old 14-11-2005
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile XJ 2.5TD Servicing

Thanks for link Kyro. I noticed they also sell Donaldson. I might investigate putting in a Donaldson air filter between the snorkel and turbo. They had a really good rep in the 80s/90s when I had my previous 4WD.

Mountainman,

I got the idea for the rear battery and draw from Howard Mellor in his XJ make-over story page 62 of Jeep Action Oct 2005. A pretty good setup.
I look forward to seeing how you've done yours.
Old 15-11-2005
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byjingo

I got the idea for the rear battery and draw from Howard Mellor in his XJ make-over story page 62 of Jeep Action Oct 2005. A pretty good setup.
I look forward to seeing how you've done yours.
hmm, anyone know how I might be able to get a look at that??

Kyro do you have a copy?? could you bring it up in a couple of weeks??

97 TDi XJ

95 XJ
Old 15-11-2005

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper in Oz
hmm, anyone know how I might be able to get a look at that??

Kyro do you have a copy?? could you bring it up in a couple of weeks??
No sorry dont have that copy