Duel Battery Setup on a ZJ Grand - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-03-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Duel Battery Setup on a ZJ Grand

I am going to put one in my Jeep, however I would liked some advice or opinions on what I am thinking about doing, I have just spent 2.5 hours reading all the Grand topics and nothing has been asked about the ZJ so here goes.
Can I replace my air cleaner with a Pod one and take the original air cleaner out.
Use the space where the air cleaner was and fit a battery tray in there.
Then run the second battery from there, I am keen to give it a go and for all I can work out it should work, however there might be a wiser answer out there.
I don't want to put it in the back of the car as space is already an issue until find a rear tyre rack.
Thanks for your time Mick
Old 21-03-2006
Muppet

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmm, good idea !

Take pics, i'll probably end up doing the same thing...
Old 23-03-2006
AJOR Gold

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Mick,

Mine is a WJ V8. I have an Optima dual setup in a modified tray in the standard position, but as they are only small (55amph) each I was looking at more juice so to speak.

One of my other projects was to put a K & N pod filter on as I nearly drowned it in a washout on Bribie (should always walk them 1st - a lesson there!) but as it's my daily driver I was concerned about sucking noise as well as power loss etc.

I did an experiment, bought a pod filter from Super Cheap for $30 (that would not strain out anything smaller than Kangaroo Turds) and tried it in various positions to see if there was any noticeable effect on power, fuel economy or noise. Over two weeks I have had it straight out of the throttle body, on a pipe like the stock K & N setup for the WJ etc. all worked fine without any discernable change in power, economy or noise.

As part of this I had the Filter box out and thought to myself "what an excellent place for another battery"

I now have my standard setup back in as I would like to have some filtration while I work out how to set up the filter system I want.

From my experiment I would say there is no problem with the Pod setup and it should give you the space for that extra battery.

Good luck

Bill
Old 24-03-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for your advice Bill S, I go to Bribie a fair bit myself maybe we could hook up one weekend, as I always have to go with toyota freaks or retired commodore drivers with 1 point left on there licence who drive 2.4ltr Hilux's like commodores lol. To be honest I get sick of defending my Jeep as they are always trying to get me bogged so they can snatch me out, so far they have had no joy ha ha SUCKERS.
I didn't even give the wash out a thought thanks for that. So far the deepest water I have had was doing the Glasshouse track when the water came right over the bonnet, man I thought I was in trouble that day, now my son is my water depth checker lol.
Old 26-03-2006
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick21
Thanks for your advice Bill S, I go to Bribie a fair bit myself maybe we could hook up one weekend, as I always have to go with toyota freaks or retired commodore drivers with 1 point left on there licence who drive 2.4ltr Hilux's like commodores lol. To be honest I get sick of defending my Jeep as they are always trying to get me bogged so they can snatch me out, so far they have had no joy ha ha SUCKERS.
I didn't even give the wash out a thought thanks for that. So far the deepest water I have had was doing the Glasshouse track when the water came right over the bonnet, man I thought I was in trouble that day, now my son is my water depth checker lol.
Bloody TOYota Drivers!! my Zj is a japanese 4wd recovery vehicle.
Old 27-03-2006
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,976 Times in 2,347 Posts

I have thought about doing the same thing in my ZJ, but I want to suck the air from outside as its cooler than under the bonnet, just have to work that one out without having to do a lot of plumbing and it should be jake. I looked at a snorkel but it would get in the way of a battery.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Post New Thread  Reply