Service 4WD System warning message. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2006
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Service 4WD System warning message.

Has anyone had the following message appear on the dash display at around 6500 kms? - Service 4WD System?

Had this come up on the way to work last week and it went into Albion Jeep to download the code and they have to get back too me after Melbourne deceipher it. They say that hey have had 1 other WH come in with the same message.

JTO
Old 12-05-2006
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default service 4wd system

I have a WH CRD which is 6 months old and has 35,000 on the clock now.
Yes, I have had my jeep back to the dealer about 4 times regarding this message. The dealers claim the connection plug which goes into the transfer case had damaged wires which they fixed. However I find I get this waring after using low 4wd and backing up my Caravan.
To tell you the truth I'm not really that happy with this vehicle. I dont have the convidence in it to take me into the outback like I have had with other 4wd's. Then, too top things off I read the article baging it out in June 4WD monthly telling me the transmission will over heat in an Australian out back in low range on sand, and its not suitable for OZ out back touring.

I do recomend geting a set of aftermarket springs from King springs on the Gold Coast. My vehicle was the test for their development and it has lifted it 60 mm and greatly improved handling.
Paul
Old 15-05-2006
Poly Performance Junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With the lift, what was the $$ damage to the wallet? I recently went to Old Coach Rd with 13 other Jeep nuts ans found that the power and traction were great but I bounced on every rock, stump and washout. I think with bigger tires and a lift it would be OK.

As for the transmission and the article, it was written by mainstream 4x4 drivers who's job it is to promote Toyota and Nissan and bag the s*#t out of every make. Considering it came second in there 4WDOTY and the Disco came first, they were very quick to publish they were crap. Just note they didnt go much into the Nissans Turbo Diesel head issues and the 100 series falling on it own front end faults over the last couple of years. Techo or not I would rather have the Jeep shutdown with its safety system in the middle of nowhere and reset after a couple of hours than the front suspension give way and be immobile without a tow truck. I think an after market larger capacity/surface area cooler will be in order to get over this potental problem.

JTO
Old 28-05-2006
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Grand Stuff

I think I only paid around $400.00 for the lift from King Springs cause mine was the first car they have done. I have had the 4wd service light sorted out a service mod was carried out on the vehicle only last week and I have had no problems since. I had to go via some rough roads to Cracow mine site (7hours north of Brisbane) last week with no problems.

Yeah, I was a bit peeved off with that article now to mention it regarding bagging the Jeep Grand. Regarding the temp on transmission comment, my 100 series land cruiser had the same alarm when driving in out of Thredbo one year in snow, so it just could be a one off. I had no problems at Fraser Island with my jeeps transmission light coming on.

As an engineer I you can’t conclude results on one trip to the bush.

Also I think a lot of journo’s think that the Oz out back is hell on earth. Well after surviving in the Special Forces I can safely say that if Jeep tested every where else on earth that would do me. We don’t have the highest temperature, roughest conditions etc than any other places in the world.

The fuel economy comment also raised my attention. I towed a Jayco Swan outback for 8,000km over Christmas with it full loaded and the car loaded also from the Gold Coast to Great Ocean road and averaged 14.5 Km per 100km.

I average about 11 km travelling at 120km per hr going to Brisbane everyday up the free way.
Do you know where I can get a bash plate made for my Grand, I think the plastic front cover wont hack the pace?
jenko
Old 03-06-2006
Poly Performance Junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ave just come back from a week down the Hunter Valley and some mild 4x4ing in between. The car had 2 adults, 1 child and close too 200kg's of luggage to boot and I averaged on the trip down and back between 9.5 and 10 L/100 km's. I am pretty impressed to say the least as I was on 110km/h most of the way and overtaking as required.

We also had a day out on the sand at Nelson/Anna Bay NSW(not sure of the correct term) and the Grand went great. We were in tow with a Patrol 3.0TD and I ran rings around him. Even though it was winter the temp gauge did not move more than 1mm and I was on a mix of hard and soft sand. I went up dunes that the Patrol choked on and this is testament to the traction control. Mind you I recieved alot of looks from other 4x4 owners for some reason.

Jeep fixed the service light issue by cleaning and crimping the connectors better than the factory did and no ssue.

I have already bashed in my bash plate from the Kilcoy trip and I am indeed looking for the same thing.

JTO
Old 13-06-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default RE: service 4wd system error

Hi Guys a bit late but have a look at the following link and maybe take a copy to your dealer

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2101406.pdf

cheers

daryl
Old 16-06-2006
Poly Performance Junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks blu110, good info to keep on record. After they did ine I have had no issues to date but will keep an eye out on it though!

JTO