The definative guide to SYE's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: What SYE should "I" buy. 2nd Q: what kind.
Moab sye 6 20.00%
Advance Adapters sye 10 33.33%
Teraflex sye 3 10.00%
Heavy duty 7 23.33%
Shorty 2 6.67%
Super short. 13 43.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2006
Original Mexican Mafia

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default The definative guide to SYE's

Decisions decisions decisions.
I need help to decide what sye to get.
Moab, Advance Adapters, Skyjacker.
I also need to know whether to go for heavy duty, shorty, super short.
From what I understand the same drive shaft can be used for any of the sye's. I have a 4" s/l and 1" b/l lift and can see myself going to a 5.5" in the future. I have big transfer case spacers that I WANT OUT!
So please tell me what you think.
Old 05-08-2006
Don't do it. I'm NUTS!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

AA SYE and a Super Short kit.

The extra length in the driveshaft completely eliminates any vibes.

The Short SYE kit is fine if you won't run more than 4" of lift
Old 05-08-2006
Original Mexican Mafia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The AA and the teraflex are supposed to be very similiar. Almost exactly the same. Any ideas about that?
Thank you...
Old 05-08-2006
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default SYE's

Moab is a OMIX (Taiwan) SYE unit and while servicable are a bit crappy in finish and supplied hardware.
Terraflex units are re-badged Advance Adaptors SYE's as are RubiconExpress and Skyjacker
(excluding the light duties that we Rubicon manufacture)

NOTE: all the above are HD and “short” SYE's and will handle up to 6” Lift with a carden jointed shaft _ absolute limit without running high angle driveline stuff. The super shorts a little more.

JB and now I believe Terra do a supershort although the Terra may be a rebaged JB (Wooders?) additionally has the speedo calibration issue with the supershorts been resolved yet Mr Woodly?
Old 05-08-2006
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

I know the OMIX (Moab) is a knock-off in design from the original AA/JB (not really sure which of those 2 was first).
Where AFAIK Tera, RE, SkyJacker, and (dang there's another I can't think of) are rebadged AA or JB. Really with any of the AA or JB or rebagded - side by side you would be bloody hard pressed to see any difference.

In the super short group there is Novak (which I think is rebadged as Teraflex) and JB. Now I won't comment on the difference - But suggest you read JB's comparision of their product to the other....

The speedo difficulty of the super shorts has been:
1. cause by insufficient torque on the rear output nut. (easy fix).
2. calabration of the speedo - We have 2 different kits to correct these - one is less expensive and gives ok results - but is very sensitive to having reasonable tyre/ratio combinations (ie 3.07 & 35's it doesn't like). The other solution is the True speed which is more expensive but does resolve all speedo issues.

Just before TTC we remove the Advance Adaptors SYE I had in my TJ and fitted a Super Shorty - we are planning to try and develop a more cost effective slution using the JayCar speedo unit....stay tuned for results
Old 05-08-2006
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Oh yeah if you want difinative guide you' need to include:
RE Light Duty, Tom Woods, Currie and MIT......
Old 08-08-2006
Original Mexican Mafia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well after a bit of phoning around it seems that the h/d and short are all the same. So the race is between short and super short. Given there are a few problems witht the supershort as far as speed reading goes (since we are installing ourselves fixing these might be a problem) the short might be the go. Now the AA, terraflex, Skyjacker and RE are all the same. AA is the original from what I have heard so that is settled. But here is the twist. For the same price I can get a JB super short. But I have to wait for a driveshaft to come from the us. I could cry.. Tom woods drive shaft vs a spicer drive shaft? Any thoughts there. Should I just go the super short and wait for the drive shaft or go the AA short shaft (heavy duty really) with a tom woods drive shaft currently instock with a price tag a little more than I was prepared to pay.
Post New Thread  Reply