Ball Joints replaced today - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys,

Check your new joints after a few hundred k's and see if there is any grease on the rubber boot - one of mine has a split in the boot, high up next to the heatshield - could only have been a manufacturing fault or installation error (pinched it going in).

Getting it replaced next week (again).
Old 13-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't let this be you - get your joints replaced!

I've had the boot replaced that split - although will be in 'discussions' with the dealer today as to why they didn't replace the entire joint when I've been driving off-road with the one with the split in the boot since they put it on with it like that!

My argument will be that contamination is why the old ones were failing.....some people have no common sense!

Last edited by Wilmo; 13-12-2006 at 12:05 PM.
Old 13-12-2006
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Hey everbodys, I've got shiny new balls..............

Ball Joints I mean, found the same thing as SINI I don't have that loose swerve going on driving in a straight line anymore, and a big "CLUNK" sound I used to get as my front wheels would drop off an edge is gone.

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 13-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmohr
Hey everbodys, I've got shiny new balls..............

Ball Joints I mean, found the same thing as SINI I don't have that loose swerve going on driving in a straight line anymore, and a big "CLUNK" sound I used to get as my front wheels would drop off an edge is gone.
That 'Clunk' would have been a bit worrying!

If you look at how the suspension works, the weight of the vehicle actually pulls the joint apart rather than pushing the ball into the socket - which just sounds a bit friggin crazy to me but I guess the engineers know what sort of load these things will take!

Look at the pics in the link, and you can see how the ball has been pulled out of the socket.

PS. Spoke to the dealer, they are replacing the one they did the boot patch up on next week at my insistence.
Old 13-12-2006
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

[QUOTE=Wilmo]That 'Clunk' would have been a bit worrying!

It was, my arse would pucker every time I came near a speed bump, on the dirt I just tried to forget about it, but, all good now

I wonder just how many people had to pay to get their joints replaced before the whole "recall" thing??

Tales.......of Interest!!!

Last edited by cmohr; 14-12-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 13-12-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There was a recall on older model Jeeps 2002-2004 I believe before this later recall. At that time they just replaced the the original part with the same part again. Now the part has been redesigned (and a different manufacturer), I suspect to eliminate the 'gap' in the picture below, as well as make them stronger (as has the Moogs joint that the diagram is taken from). The difference between the Moogs joint and the ones DC supply is that the Moogs has a grease nipple on it so you can keep it full of grease.

Old 14-12-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

I got mine at 05 Jeep Cherokee Renegade to the dealer and they informed that I have serious problems. The bearing seemed to have moved by a millimeter and I cannot get my Jeep back for the next few days (replaced by a hire car).
Did anyone have to such a serious issue that you would have to wait for a couple of days?
Post New Thread  Reply