Newbie without a Jeep, yet - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-05-2007
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Newbie without a Jeep, yet

Hi guys, good site. I've been lurking for a while while I make up my mind and have decided to get a Jeep . I'm just not sure shich one , it's either going to be a KJ Renegade or a JK Unlimited Renegade, diesel for both.

The Jeep will be my new company car, so I need to be able to live with it everyday, we go offroad about 6 times a year with our 95 Discovery, not extreme but enough to get it stuck every now and then, the guys I go with run lifted yotas with muddies and love mud, the stock Disco struggles with clearance under these conditions.
The Jeep also needs to tow our 2000kg boat long distances ie QLD and back with comfort.
I would love the Wrangler, but am concerned about day to day and touring comfort, the longer wheel base is better for towing though.
So, what do you reckon, KJ or JK??

"can I go play with the boat NOW??"
Old 30-05-2007
LOST

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

i would reccomend the kj but i am biased

my KJ is a company car and has done over 180,000 k's in 3 years add a 2" lift and some 245/70R16 all terrains and it will all be good

i run seperate rims with 245/75r16 mud terrains for play

therre is a good range of aftermarket accesories now, Snorkles by Airflow, underbody protection, a couple of different bull bars , rock rails the list goes on

have a look at the KJ section for some more model specific details mate

fouros

Last edited by Fouros; 30-05-2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 30-05-2007
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

2000kgs!!!! Not sure about the JK's towing capacity but the KJ would do that easily, Diesel would be the way to go on either model though. Theres plenty of guys around with the diesel KJ towing big stuff all the time. I am biased too, I've got a KJ (petrol), beautiful as a daily driver, and with the mods, (lift kit, tyres, skid plates) it does ALL the 4x4 work I want to do, and I've taken it plenty of places people said it would never go, but, I have also driven the diesel manual JK, and I have to say it was VERY NYICE, a pleasure to drive too, comfortable, yes, so, I don't know, test drive both again. Don't really know what point I'm trying to make, I like both.....

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 30-05-2007
On the Road Again

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Welcome aboard Jeepme, I used to have a KJ CRD and now have a TJ and there's no doubt the KJ is what you're after for your needs. Haven't had any experience with the JK so can't comment.

One more thing, I'm not sure which way the JK tailgat opens, I'll assume the same as the TJ (but we all kow what happens when we assume!), but one minor pain in the neck with the KJ was the tailgate opening to the kerb when you parallel park. If you, like me, have limited street only parking, it was a pain having to walk around the tailgate every time you wanted to put someting in or out, especially the shopping! I live in a small street and sometimes when I opened the tail there wasn't enough room to get between the car behind me, so I'd have cart everything around the car behind me or to the front of my car to get to the footpath.

Other than that it was a great car to drive and very comfortable.

Last edited by Mooreyfiveo; 30-05-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Had another thought.
Old 30-05-2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68429

Buy mine...mind you nothing that you want haha