Suspension Problems - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-08-2007
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Suspension Problems

I took the JK Rubicon out on the weekend. It went beautifully but I kept hearing a knocking noise from the front left corner when we got a little flex.

I had a look and noticed this...

You can see where the sway bar's making contact (right in the middle of the photo).

I've had a 2.5" T/F budget boost installed. The guy that did it had some problems with the sway bar links rubbing on the stock back tyre - this was before the new wheels were put on.

To overcome the problem he extended the trackbar (panhard rod) by about 1 inch. Now the car look like it's on the piss.

Instead of the body sitting a little over to the right which you would expect, it's sitting quite a ways over to the left. The rear left tyre sits nicely under the guard. The rear right tyre protrudes about an extra inch.

The sway bar links are also a little on the piss...

Rear Left

You can see the sway bar link leans to the left a bit.

Rear Right

Also leaning to the left

Is this causing (or going to cause) a problem?
Now, I'm guessing a new adjustable trackbar will bring this back into line and straighten up the links and allow for a bigger lift in future (3.5" planned), but what about the front? Any thoughts on what might be causing the contact?

Up front links on both sides appear to be angled in...

I've only disconnected the sway bar once. Don't know if this is a factor?

Any thoughts?
Old 13-08-2007
(O |||||||| O)

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know a lot of the guys in the US who have the TF BB have needed to do some changes with there sway bar links. I wont pretend to know anything about this stuff but I have read a lot about buying new sway bar links for the rear and moving the factory rears to the front. Have a read up on jk-forum

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...highlight=sway

Im looking at the same kit.
Old 13-08-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah - this switch has been made. They are the new links on the front and the old front links are on the rear.
Old 13-08-2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
Yeah - this switch has been made. They are the new links on the front and the old front links are on the rear.
You have it backwards put the new links on the rear and the old rear ones on the front at ride height you want the panhard rod as close to horizontal to the ground as possible.

SAM
overkill@unwired.com.au
Old 14-08-2007
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL View Post
...you want the panhard rod as close to horizontal to the ground as possible.
SAM
You mean the swaybar ends ?

Sonik - I'm interested in this.
Looking at the pics, I assume the setup is the same as the TJ; lift it and the front axle moves across to the right relative to the body and the rear axle moves left relative to the body.
The OME solution on their 2" lift for the TJ is to use a swaybar relocation bracket at the rear to push the axle back past centre and over to the right, so it's aligned with the front - yeah, the effect is the Jeep looks like it's OTP, but at least it doesn't crab. The downside is that clearance on the LHS is a bit iffy.
I assume from your description above that's what's happening with yours - the modified (lengthened) panhard was the rear one? Which means both axles are moved to the right with respect to the body, and could explain clearance issue at front LHS.
The other issue a few TJs have noted is that once you play around with disconnects, etc, the swaybar is free to move side to side a little and can cause clearance issues - a few threads have discussed solutions ranging from clamped hoses to steel () clamps.
Old 14-08-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL View Post
You have it backwards put the new links on the rear and the old rear ones on the front at ride height you want the panhard rod as close to horizontal to the ground as possible.

SAM
Hmmm. While I didn't install it myself, I feel like a bit of ******** for missing that. The longer links should be on the back. I'll switch them around. That should resolve the contact in the front end by "flattening out" the sway bar ends.

I'm still a bit concerned about the "lean" of the rear links to the left. I might just suck it up and order an adjustable trackbar for the back. No point in getting a stock one (unless someones got one lying around that they can spare??).

TONTO - I remember my TJ looking a little OTP - it litled a little to the left, but I don't remember having issues with clearance on the left.

By the time I get all this shit sorted out my tyres will be worn down and I be readyt to ugrade to 35's and have to start all over again.
Old 15-08-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Switched sway bar links around tonight - much better.

Still have the "lean" mostly in the back end.

Will order new adjustable trackbar for the rear.