Twin winch motor adapter has pull - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > AUSTRALIAN JEEP NEWS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2007
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone been able to do statistical testing of either the Flamin twin motor or the Gigglepin twin setup? I would be interested in knowing the electrical consumption under varying loads (zero through 8,000 pounds or whatever the limit is now assumed to be, i.e., stall load) and the ultimate load rating of the winch with a stated electrical supply.

Comments so far suggest that line speed at no load is the same as before, which I can understand since the electrical motor can spin only so fast with a 14v source. Wouldn't matter how many motors were in line if they all spin at the same speed. Under load, however, is where things are stated to change. In concept, two motors would share a given load, hence requiring only half the torque to carry that given load, which would demand only half the electrical consumption -- per motor. But since there are two motors, why would the electrical equation not be the same with one or two motors (half the load plus half the load should equal the same full load)?

I can see where you might get higher line speed at load as long as no one motor is loaded to its limit and as long as there is adequate electrical supply to drive both motors to their independent limits, but the literature does not suggest that this is the case, so I was just wondering if anyone has tested these setups to secure empirical data on performance?

I have also wondered why, if a higher HP motor is used, the load rating of the winch does not go up. No doubt Warn does not want to say that an 8,000 pound winch is good for more, because if it breaks, their reputation could be damaged, but surely a stronger motor on a given gear set would result in a greater load pulling ability. Has anyone tested the 8274 gear and chassis to failure to determine its ultimate load carrying ability?
Old 09-09-2007
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madizell View Post
Has anyone been able to do statistical testing of either the Flamin twin motor or the Gigglepin twin setup? I would be interested in knowing the electrical consumption under varying loads (zero through 8,000 pounds or whatever the limit is now assumed to be, i.e., stall load) and the ultimate load rating of the winch with a stated electrical supply.

Comments so far suggest that line speed at no load is the same as before, which I can understand since the electrical motor can spin only so fast with a 14v source. Wouldn't matter how many motors were in line if they all spin at the same speed. Under load, however, is where things are stated to change. In concept, two motors would share a given load, hence requiring only half the torque to carry that given load, which would demand only half the electrical consumption -- per motor. But since there are two motors, why would the electrical equation not be the same with one or two motors (half the load plus half the load should equal the same full load)?

I can see where you might get higher line speed at load as long as no one motor is loaded to its limit and as long as there is adequate electrical supply to drive both motors to their independent limits, but the literature does not suggest that this is the case, so I was just wondering if anyone has tested these setups to secure empirical data on performance?

I have also wondered why, if a higher HP motor is used, the load rating of the winch does not go up. No doubt Warn does not want to say that an 8,000 pound winch is good for more, because if it breaks, their reputation could be damaged, but surely a stronger motor on a given gear set would result in a greater load pulling ability. Has anyone tested the 8274 gear and chassis to failure to determine its ultimate load carrying ability?
Yes, your theory on the electrical consumption etc is pretty much on the money.
I have only ever had my winches set up on real world trucks in real winching situations.
They have never been bench tested.
In the whole time that these have been used, I have never seen one stall. They are more than capable of recovering the types of vehicles I have designed them to work on.
The motors with 12v supply, do only run to a certain speed. However, the 24v setups we use over here, do increase the speed.
Multiple motors on 12v only have an advantage at load.
24v setups must have a good electrical supply setup. Large leads, healthy batteries and alternator and of course solenoids. This helps make them very reliable.