What to do with front dana 30 diff? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What to do with front dana 30 diff?

Well Im in a bit of a sticky situation with my front dana 30 diff. It is currently running an air locker with standard ratios. I plan on upgrading the Jeep and want to run either 35's or 37's (unsure yet).

The problem is I have spoken to Wooders and he is pretty sure if I want to upgrade the gears to run 4.88's I will need to buy a new front locker (the rear is ok as I can get a thick cut gear for it).

So I have figured this leaves me with the following options:

1. regear the dana 30 and ditch the locker altogether and just keep the rear one. Is this possible?

2. buy a new locker that will acommodate the new 4.88 gears and wait for something to break.

3. convert the front dana 30 into a super 30 with new gears and the stronger dana 44 axles. Now we are talking plenty of $$$'s and Im not sure how the dana 30 axel tubes would hold up.

4. find a dana 44 front. I have no idea about this option or what it would even cost.

What I want to know is if there are any other options that I have missed and what are your thoughts?

cheers.
Old 01-10-2007
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am building mine with super30 axles and 4.88's, however... i am only running 33's
if i were planning on running larger than 35's i would look into a d44, but if i were going to all that trouble i would look at d60 or some thing of that size
Old 03-10-2007
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You should check with ARB to see if the locker will work. If you were swapping out to the lower 4.88 gearing, you would have to swap out the the factory ring carrier.

One option you didn't mention is to swap out your D30 with a high pinion version from a 95½ to 99½ XJ. The high pinion version from that era uses stronger u-joints and has reverse cut ring and pinion gears. Reverse cut are 100 times stronger due to the physics of how they rotate. If your ARB can be ran with the 4.88 gears, it will fit right in to the HPD30. All you would need to do is run the air line.

FYI, the D30 and D44 use the same outers and axle tubes. If you jump your Jeep a lot, then I'd worry about bending the tubes. Most bolt on axles trusses made for the D30 will beef it up enough to keep it from bending under normal use.

One thing to consider with the D30/D44 is that running 4.88 gears, the pinion gear is tiny. Running 37's, it will be a weak link and will probably go before the axle shafts will (if you are locked and crawling). If you get stupid with the skinny pedal and spin the massive amount of weight from the 37's alot, then you will surely break the shafts. A super kit with cromoly shafts will increase strength, but the possibility of breakage while spinning the tires is still there.

BTW, I did a high pinion swap on my TJ. You can read the article I wrote by clicking here.

Cheers

Last edited by yzergod; 03-10-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2007
Get 'er Done!!!!

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzergod View Post

FYI, the D30 and D44 use the same outers and axle tubes.
we never got a TJ rubicon front 44's in Australia...all ours are pretty much out of FSJ or F100's etc...which use different tubes and outers...

but like he said 4.88 in a dana 30 is a tiny pinion gear...

do the math's... it will work out cheaper to do a 44 front than build up a 30 which will end up costing more than a 60...