Does your gas hang low? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2007
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Does your gas hang low?

Can you tie it in a bow?

Anywho - Finally got my car back from getting a conversion to gas last night and I was as wrapped as a dim sim, until I got it home and actually looked at the tank. My XJ is stock to start with so it had a bit of clearance when we took it 4wheelin but it would still scrape on occasion if I got into trouble. Now with my gas tank 4wheelin is out of the question. It's clearance is about the same as any normal sedan because the tank hangs so low. So to sum it up - my car looks like it has a giant testical... It had a sex change and is now a boy.

So my question : Can you guys who have duel fuel slap up some photos to let me see where your tanks sit?

I'm going back to see the mechanic tonight so I can pay him and ask him about it. He told me if I have any issues to bring it straight back so I'll see what he says. I was so happy with everything until I saw the tank and then I got so deflated - like nothing could go right.

Other then that everything else was perfect - he even wired it so I didn't have one of those ugly gas gauges and put it straight through my fuel gage so they are both on the same one and I only have a tiny little switch. And the fill up point is in the back bumper.

Last edited by karashalla; 04-12-2007 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Just because I could
Old 05-12-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My tank is also a little low, but no lower than rear diff, therefore other than altering the exit angle slightly, should be much the same for offroading.
As the weight of tank and fuel will pull rear down you may need to get your springs reset to compensate, this made an enormous difference to mine.

Brooklyn springs in Geelong rd. Brooklyn do a fine job.

Last edited by Neil; 05-12-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: left some out
Old 05-12-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for replying.

I discovered last night when I filled the boot up chockerblock with horse feed (so a huge load of weight) that the car didn't go down - so it's already as low as she'll sit. Guess I've gotta start saving my pennies for a new set of springs.

What prices would I be looking at for these?
Old 05-12-2007
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where did they position your petrol tank? I assume the gas tank took place of the old petrol tank?
Old 05-12-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know, I've been too scared to get down and have a look.

I'm regretting not taking it to the first place I was going to go because I think they would have done a faster and better job. Probably would have known how to get it sit a bit higher.
However I am pretty stoked that the guage is the fuel gauge and I don't have a tacky gas gauge.
Old 05-12-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My springs had collapsed, and as I tow a van I had them reset and tensioned.
This was 4 years ago and I think they cost around $290
Brooklyn springs will give you a price over the phone.

Think the tank will only go in 1 way.
Old 05-12-2007
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

does it have a guard? my patrol got a nice 5mm tank guard over the tank itself aswel. yes it hangs low but with a 3-4" lift it picks up nicley.