Jeep vs Patrol vs Landcruiser - Page 9 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2008
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Owned a GQ wagon, I still believe that it was the best 4x4 I have owned in terms of ability, strength & reliability. Just too big. If they still made a SWB I probably would buy one (if they came with a 4.2TD)

Owned a 100 series GXL V8, without a doubt the nicest 4x4 I have ever driven. Offroad ability marginal, reliability very good. Too big and nice to use seriously offroad.

Owned a couple of TJ's and now I'll always own a Jeep of some kind. It's a love/hate relationship.

To me it's not just transport, nor is it the most practical or economically smart choice.

It's a lifestyle choice, I enjoy driving it, I enjoy fixing it, I enjoy modifying it, I enjoy hanging out with other jeep nuts, I enjoy pissing off other 4x4's.

About the only thing I don't like about Jeeps is the whinning and complaining of other Jeep owners who just don't get it. But that's cool because it's a good source of spare parts when they sell up!!
Old 05-01-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

[QUOTE=OIIIO;814046]Owned a GQ wagon, I still believe that it was the best 4x4 I have owned in terms of ability, strength & reliability. Just too big. If they still made a SWB I probably would buy one (if they came with a 4.2TD)

Well here are pics of the GU swb - New Zealand, only seen them with 3.0 diesels, may have been made with the 4.2 but have not seen them.

Might be a great 4wd, strong, reliable but still does not have a sole like a Jeep, remember some soles you hate, but at least there is emotion love/hate both four letter words, you may call your Jeep several over time, but it is still one of the few vehicles with sole one of the few others that comes to mind is the original Range Rover Classic - very similar to Jeeps, many people throw way too much money at them, love them dearly, would not part with them and when asked why - they stand there with that blank look that says you would not understand
Old 05-01-2008
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well here are pics of the GU swb - New Zealand, only seen them with 3.0 diesels, may have been made with the 4.2 but have not seen them.

Looks kinda funny, on second thought.....
Old 20-05-2008
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Jeep smokes them all!!!

I have a 99 TJ and am very happy with it. I have mates with Patrols and Landcruisers and my Jeep goes as good, if not better than theirs. The only thing i have had to fix was a new exhaust manifold. My old one had cracks all over it. Put the new one on and its as good as gold. In my case its all my mates with the Patrols and Landcruisers that have the problems, not me. I have been away many times and the Landcruisers and Patrols cant get up hills or get stuck in the mud and the Jeep does it without effort.

99 TJ
31" tyres
2" OME lift
Old 20-05-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on my second Jeep and think their the greatest true 4 wheel drive on the planet. Standard they are as good or better than nearly anything offroad but with some basic mods they are awesome. My old Xj was far better in sand than I would have ever believed before I did it and went over dunes a cruiser driving workmate said it couldnt because his wouldnt. And my current pride and joy- Wj grand limited with quadradrive really surprised me with great articulation and traction and with 3" of lift it has pretty good ground clearance. Cost of driving the V8 is probably even better than diesel nissans and cruisers and my family dont complain that much when I talk them into an offroad trip because it is so luxurios. Most of my mates with other brands seem fairly impressed with the jeeps ability too. Reliability- traded my old XJ not that far off 300000 and apart from modifications and general maintainance I think the electric aerial is the only thing that let me down and the compressor needed the clutch shimmed. I went Grand because it was a Jeep and it was much much roomier than the Xj. Yep .............. Jeep ........... the best kept secret out there. .............Don't tell anyone ........ it'll drive up the prices!
Old 20-05-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Are there other 4wds besides Jeeps?
Old 20-05-2008
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought my unlimited rubicon because you can't by anything else that comes close capability wise for $50k partols and cruisers are waaaay to expensive and eveyone has got them.
My mates all have LCs and pootrols and they cannot keep up with me off road
I bought a petrol (no choive actually) because I have to drive 4 cyl turbo diesels at work and I'm over the lag, short powerbands and low red lines off road.

the other thing is the verasatility with the duo top I can use it as a wagon and with the top down it's a ute - i carried 2 wheelie bins in it to the tip the other day.

I had never considered a Jeep before but now I think I'm totally infected

it's fun to drive, sepecially when stripped down,
it's fun to look at
it's fun to be looked at in
it's fun to recover every one else before you've even had to lock the diffs
it's fun deciding whether to have hard topm 1/2 a hardtop, or the soft top up or down,

it's just fun

Ado

Last edited by Rubiwan; 20-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply