Installed a CB in my KJ - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-05-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Installed a CB in my KJ

Just thought I'd let you know that finding a place to put the aerial through to the cabin is a total b*tch of a job. Made harder by having the connector crimped on the end. BUT I did discover a way in through two rubber grommets that are actually not in the firewall but on the right corner wall of the drivers footwell. They actually go out under the right hand side front panel, and then into the bonnet. Take a look for them if you are doing this kind of work - it makes an impossible job merely difficult!

Anyway, I installed a GME 3400 remote face unit - the remote face fits perfectly in the lower spare compartment of the centre dash (below the climate controls). I used some strong doublesided tape to fix it up to the underside of this slot - looks great out of the way in there. Didn't have to drill one hole which I was happy about. The rest of the unit is tucked away under the drivers side dash, cable tied in place securely.

I'll post some pics tomorrow in the daylight.
Old 13-05-2006
LOST

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

sweet should be good to see the finished job mate
Old 13-05-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pics....

Wiring for Fridge Charger and CB aerial run through the hinge port to two grommets that punch through to the drivers footwell.

They aren't on the front firewall, but on the side in the corner. Note the two black cables going off to the right. I put some waterproof tape on them to make sure they were dust tight.

GME 3400 Face Unit mounted under climate controls

Waeco Battery Charger in Cargo Area

Cargo Area Loaded up

Also fitted a Tracklander Roof Rack that I got second hand then did a test pack to see if everything I am planning on taking fits!

Old 14-05-2006
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

hehe..you pics whore !!

Your installs look really neat mate, good job.

Hey i like the Tracklander Roof rack Wilmo. Is it Aluminium ? Good size.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD

Last edited by CRDSTU; 15-05-2006 at 08:45 AM.
Old 14-05-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, Tracklander is Aluminium powder coated. Has a neat perspex wind deflector on the front. They are pricey though brand new - $1200! I paid half that which is justifiable when you consider the other options like Rhino and Thule which are about the same price new. Its an awesome rack the Tracklander and was a lucky find. It attaches to the cross rails with Rhino Rack clamps.
Old 29-04-2008
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Wilmo for publishing this post. I have just been installing a GME 3420 radio as well. I was wracking my brain to work out how to get wires through the firewall until I found this post.

A couple of additions to the above. I couldn't for the life of me find the second grommet that you were talking about. I found the first one on the inside near the drivers sidewall but the second one had me. I eventually found it, I am assuming its the small plastic one on the door jam below the main wiring assembly that goes to the door. I levered this out with a screw driver and drilled a hole in it, ran the cables like you said and filled it with silicon to keep the water/dust out. The rest was easy.

I also found that if you pull out the rubber liner in that spare compartment where you mounted the radio head, it has a small square hole in the back with which you can run the wires from the radio head. To get to the back of it you will need to remove the radio/aircon plastic covers. This is easy. Just remove the small screw at the bottom behind where you mounted the radio head and then just gently unclip the bottom of the plastic cover. I did this by putting my thumb in the cigarette lighter socket and gently levering it. Once you have one corner out you can get your hand behind it to pop the others out. There is only one screw and four clips holding it in. When you get it out just unclip all the wires on the back and I removed the four screws holding the aircon panel in rather then unclip all the little tubes that are connected to the switch. The whole assembly can be taken out now. I mounted the radio with screws at the top. This is so the screw holes wont be seen when I remove it later. To get the cable through the small hole at the back I just removed the small screws at the back of the GME head unit, disconnected the small connector and fed it through the hole and reassembled the unit again. Be careful with this small connector as it is quite fragile.

I also found the radio antenna wire can be held out the way of the bonnet hinges by passing it under the plastic panel /grill where the windscreen wipers come out through and then run it where ever you need to.

Hope this is of some further help. Will post some photos shortly also.
Cheers
Oz
Old 30-04-2008
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I actually ran mine through the firewall up above the accelerator.

There is a rubber grommit that allows you access to the top left hand side of the engine bay.

putting the rubber grommit back in is a pain in the date, so took it off completely and installed it form the inside of the car, a lot easier to get to! pretty bloody simple in the end.

I am out of town at the moment, but will post pics early next week.
Post New Thread  Reply