Convince me to buy an XJ - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Possibilities....

Hi

Did this eight years ago after years of messing around with Land Rovers. So short list is dependent on what you want.

Hi Lo, solid axels, good power to weight ratio, non LR, etc. Can tow a trailer off road. I also wanted diesel, sorry Gilda, I know.

Every forum and mag had its horror stories, dependent on what part of the world you were in and what forum you read. Nissan dished Yotas, Landy Jeeps, etc. Drove all. Trail Boss said she liked the XJ and the ZJ best too !

To sum up I bought an XJ. Jeeps are built not bought

Look at Wooders site and Go Jeeps too. GJ built an excelllent off road trailer for those longer travels. There are loads of possibilites....

Picture a month ago.....

Our stockish Cherokee diesel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02Feb09.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	31597  

Last edited by charliecherokee; 08-03-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: pic
Old 08-03-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Its a Jeep thing right!?[/QUOTE]

Yes
I do understand
Old 08-03-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

The XJ is a magic machine. Done 10 years or hard wheeling in mine. Jeeps are a lot more fun than the others makes.
Old 08-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems to me you have already decided and you just want to be re-assured you have made a good decision. It's a Jeep thing. Hook in man. Do it. Get it done and dusted.
Old 08-03-2009
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I've had mine for 7 years from stock with 30,000km on to modified with 145,000km on it, it's never been a daily driver so most of those have been touring and offroad. The worst thing it's done is bust a rear axle, but then my mates 105 series Toyota has done two front diffs and cost 3 times as much to repair each time to say nothing of the initial cost. Anyway, a bit of maintenance will keep what is potentially a 13 year old vehicle going no problems.

I'd had it for 8 months in this pic, trouble is once you start you cant stop

Last week

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-03-2009
Death Wobbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you need to be convinced to buy one, then maybe you dont really wont one

but, they are the best bang for buck 4X4 wagon on the market.... low c.o.g, decent power and a good version for under 6k these days.
be pretty hard to find a toyota or nissan thats reasonable for double that....

IOLLLLLOI
Old 11-03-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go the XJ
If you had 20K, buy an 80 series Land Criuser. But U have 8K...buy an XJ. You well get a good XJ for 8K or a shagged 80 Series 8K - both will probably be a little unreliable. I bought an XJ cause it was the only small 4WD that could cut it off road and would fit under my garage door (even with a roof rack and 2' lift kit). the amount of taller $40'+ 4Wds in my new suburb that sit outside all day & night with another $7' worth of crap on the roof is increadable...it's real problem & a thiefs paradise!
Post New Thread  Reply