Electric water pump. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2009
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts
Default Electric water pump.

Saw an add for thease in a mag, claiming 10-20HP increase.
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electr...0-details.aspx

Has any one had any experance with them?

I'm thinking maybe behind the AC compressor ? I'm away so I cannot look to see the spacing.
$500 is a fair wack of cash but if it is 10hp, you are talking $50 / HP for bolt on power, $25 if it is 20 hp -not so bad I belive when viewed like that.
thing is I already have a tarus fan so as far as I can tell I would have to keep the water pump pully and just remove the impeller, not ideal but otherwise I think I will not get enough bite between the crank and pully.
Just thinking out loud.
Any one else got 2cents?
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 24-04-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I have always liked the idea of these Electric Waterr pumps - and almost got one for my old commodore a few years back - but at the time no one could give me any feedback in regards to reliablity and real world power gains.
Old 24-04-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hi Rainman,
I had a look at one last week as a helper for my existing water pump.
I had been told by the store owner, col who i have known for over 14 years he has been selling them to a couple of guys who race in rally cars around the local area and they have had good reliability.
I am half way through building my DANA 44 for my xj so its on the back burner.
PS I am on gas thats why i must run a belt driver pump to keep the flow of water going to the gas convertor. But when it gets to 95 or 100 the electric pump cuts in and i am looking to wiring the fans in to the same controller.
BEN
Old 24-04-2009
LokRinger

Liked 1,767 Times in 559 Posts

I looked at them years ago but spoke to the company about fitting one to the XJ. They didn't think it was a good idea if it got submerged in water during a river crossing so canned the idea.
There was also a write up in a American Muscle magazine where they fitted one and checked before and after on the dyno. They said they contacted the company about the results but were warned about publishing their results!

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 25-04-2009
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

According to Craig-Davis their pumps are submersible and with the controller that comes with them you can run them how you want to.
one of their units will be my next water pump
Old 26-04-2009
No Winching

Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
There was also a write up in a American Muscle magazine where they fitted one and checked before and after on the dyno. They said they contacted the company about the results but were warned about publishing their results!
not much fact in that prefer hard figures myself
Old 23-10-2009
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts

I highly recommend these pumps!

Was running one in my VN Commodore and had real noticeable power and economy increase from the lower temps and much more free revving as I went to a shorter drive belt with less load - bypassed the original water pump after the bearing went. Engine comfortably maxed out another 800RPM as a result.

The engine even ran too cool for my liking afterwards and so I fitted the controller module with the temp probe in replacement of the thermostat... unit runs the pump intermittently until engine is warm enough, then varies the pump speed to maintain desired temp. Even with this in moderate traffic, the thermofan would rarely need to come on as the water pump does the majority of the work. It also runs the pump after ignition-off to help reduce heat soak.

The pump fits in lower radiator hose, a section is cut out and clamps are supplied.

I will be moving this unit to my new XJ soon... but will probably do it along with a primary thermofan. I have now noticed Davies Craig do a controller module which looks after both the thermofan and water pump which looks like the perfect solution, as it wasn't available when I originally fitted the pump. It allows you to dial in a specific temperature and let it do the rest for you:

Quote:
The Controller varies the speed of your EWP® looking for, and locking onto your target temp. If the engine temp goes 3 degrees C over the target, the Controller will run your radiator fan until the target temp is restored.
Post New Thread  Reply