xj speakers? - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-dogg View Post
Hi Big Dave, what did you pay for these?

Also, what sort of stereo/head unit do you have and are you using any amps?
They were on sale at the time, about 2 months ago & I think it was about $230 all up.

I also upgraged the head unit at the same time from my old sony cd player to a sony CDX-GT55IP with rear ipod connection that sits in the glove box, fantastic ipod control as well.
No additional amps. The unit is 52w x 4.
Picked that up from JB's 30% off car audio sale fo $206 I think it was.
All up a pretty cheap stereo upgrade considering the sony head unit I took out cost me about $450 11 years ago.
Old 21-04-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giki View Post
As i said jeepbloke, 6 would be a perfect fit but now that it has been done so we set that aside.And always buy the same set of speakers so that the tonality stays the same, dont mix and match pioneer and eclipse.
You are worrying about tonality differences when the rears are mounted in a horrible, non-vented plastic mount..... On top of that you have 4x4 tyres producing all kinds of interesting noise and the Xj's are hardly the quiestest cars to start with.
Plus many very successful car sound comp cars don't even use rear speakers to begin with and the majority of those that do alot don't use tweeters as it detrimental to the overall sound stage as it draws the sound too far back.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 21-04-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought some 5.5" 100watt speakers with four mounting holes (a'la originals) and dropped them straight in the original holes. The front ones just sit behind the original grilles which as you say are part of the door trims. The rears in the roof I pulled the grills, mounted the speakers in the same holes as the originals (I had to use the screw clips that came with the new speakers) and used the grills that came with the new speakers. They look original and sound great.....the whole job took me about 30 minutes. You will need to cut the plugs off the end of the wires and solder the plugs on that came with your new speakers.

All I did was pull one speaker and took it into the shop, opened the box and laid them over each other until I got a set with the correct size and mounting holes. If the shop won't let you open the box.....walk out the door and find one that will. I'm not sure of the speaker size in your model of Jeep, but the manufacturers use production sizes so you shouldn't have any trouble getting replacements.

Last edited by Blaktop; 21-04-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 21-04-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

i bought the 6.5" knowing i wouldn't be getting a sub 4 a while so i wanted the best sound i could get w/o the trouble of 6x9's. im with jungle juice. not 2 worried bout tonal differences as long as it goes hard and sounds alright. when its loud enough 2 pick these difference the car is vibrating everywhere anyway lol i plan 2 fit better rears, probably pioneer in the future coz the 1's i have now max out b4 the splits in the front. atm w/o a sub it goes bloody hard 4 a pretty basic system no complaints at all.

i hid all the wiring 2 by the way and looks stock just the fronts im having trouble with getting in through the boots in the door mainly bcoz i cant get in2 the quarter panel... its annoying the crap outa me 2 coz its red wire shoulda thought bout it a bit better lol
Old 23-04-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeepbloke, check out a Fusion bass tube if you wanna save money as it has the amp built in. Just need to power the tube and feed it a signal from the HU. Not messy at all and good enough for most purposes. Also lookout for JL Audio tubes too as they will be used but you can get them cheap and they play well. 200 dollars at the most for either option and less if you are lucky.

I got Sound Proofing all over the car. Mine is a SQ system, not a SPL system. It has Time Alignment and Parametric Equalization in the HU itself to take care of what the speakers sing and a separate DSP to make sure they sing the same tune. Dont be fooled by the sub, it runs in a very relaxed state of tune. No doof -doof here.

The rear speakers are for the rear passengers as they cant listen to the sub all the time. Believe me, its gets tiring after sometime no matter how good the sub is. They are fitted in such a manner that they can breathe well. The crossover ensures that they dont produce bass, which is the sub,s job.They produce clean vocals, midbass and the tweeters have been equalized so as to meld in with the comp,s.

Its not a VN/VS Commodore, its got some self respect after all.

Last edited by giki; 23-04-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 26-04-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading some of the posts in this thread I went to Strathfield car radios and installed my new speakers today. I mixed and matched speakers but I am more than happy with the result:

Head Unit - Panasonic 45W x 4
Front Speakers - JBL GTO6527 6.5" 165W 2 Ways $89, with 6 inch spacers $19
Rear Speakers - Schneider 6.5" 180W 2 Ways $79

It's a huge improvement and sounds great! (to my untrained ear anyway). Given the fairly low price I was very surprised at the big difference it made.
Old 27-04-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oli-dogg, if they are components, mount the tweeter on the

little space near the glass. Probably the best location in the

XJ for tweeters. Sounds good and not too intrusive.