My Waeco S*#T itself again - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-04-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Engel is the go!
Old 19-04-2009
Don't do it. I'm NUTS!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got a CF-50 (without the digital temp readout) and it's lasted me now for 6 years. It's been with me throughout all my crazy 4WDing days and never missed a beat.

I just think you got a Lemon on your hands. You sure it's a WAECO and not an ENGEL?
Old 22-04-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Before this job i was actually the Evakool rep for Qld and Northern NSW. For fear of sounding like a know-it-all, there isn't much about the fridges i don't know.

Here are my thoughts after being in that industry for many years and testing every brand that was a possible threat and that we had to sell against.......

1. Waeco - with all due respect to those who have on, i wouldn't touch them! If you have the money to get something better, don't get a Waeco......Shit insulation. Needs an insulation bag around it to help it perform. the insulation used to separate from the polyethelyne plastic. The problem with plastic is that it absorbs the sun/heat and therefore needs the insulation bag to assist it. the electronics were constantly shitting themselves, and they did not pull down to temperature as well as other brands. If you are on a budget and you are willing to really look after your Waeco it is up to you. They use a danfoss BD35 and BD70 compressor. good compressors though. Due to the plastic and poor insulation the compressor cycles more and therefore draws more amps per hour.

2. Engel - Great fridge. Strong, robust construction and they are very reliable. However they hit the back pocket heavily. Once again though they are a metal construction and again they absorb the sun/heat. Grab yourself an insulation bag and you are right as rain. Pull down to very respectable temperatures and have never really had any major issues. they will keep going and going. Alot of accessories for these as well such as the dual zone addons etc. this fridge uses a swing compressor and is heavier on amps as well but in the hotter temps will still outperform the Waeco on both temp and amp useage. I would own an Engel no problems at all.

3. Evakool - Great fridge. this fridge for 'performance' is better than the Engel and the Waeco. It uses the least amps per hour out of all the fridges and pulls down to the lowest temperatures. tested and proven by independant testers etc etc. Middle of the range pricewise and is great value for money. It is made from fibreglass with 50mm insulation. However there is a downside and an upside to it's fibreglass construction. Fibreglass reflects heat and therefore the insulation is not affected by the sun like plastic and metal are. therefore you don't require an insulation bag. However to protect the fibreglass, the travel bag/cover they sell is required as you can't just chuck it in your ute. the fibreglass will get damaged. I personally have an Evakool fridge (plus ice boxes) as they out-perform the other fridges mentioned. I used my fridge running non-stop as a second fridge/freezer at home for just over 3 years straight. It has never missed a beat. A mate of mine also does the same with his Engel. It too has never missed a beat.

Then there is my favourite fridge and probably rhe best fridge on the market.......
4. the Trailblazer fridge......This is an absolutely fantastic fridge made locally here in Brisbane. It is made out of 2mm brushed aluminium stainless steel with either 75mm or 125mm insulation!! These things are tested up to 43 degrees and are built especially for Aussie harsh conditions. Once again they use Danfoss compressors and even though they are of metal construction, the insulation used is thick enough to compensate for it. I would have one of these any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Problem is they are BLOODY EXPENSIVE!!!!....But as they say, you get what you pay for. It pulls down to very low temps and uses minimal amps. No known 'common' issues. they use quality components and are of a high quality finish.

Anyway that's it from me. As some of you mentioned, it is a big outlay and they reps/shops will tell you anything to get you to buy them. I only know them intimately because it was my job to know them intimately. Just beware how and what you spend your money on.

If anyone has any questions please ask as i am still mates with the Engel rep and i am still in contact with Evakool. I may also be able to sift through some of the bull sh*t you may have been told about fridges. (or even ice boxes)

Toddm
Old 23-04-2009
..mi vida loca..

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so todd -
the arb fridge/freezers -
how do they rate??

P.S. i always shop local -
if they don't last -
they end up through the shops windows..

P.P.S.tell the truth -
hate throwing things away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
simsy i have been busy at work, you should try it some day
Old 27-04-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Jimbo i could be wrong but i think the arb fridge freezer is just a engel with a arb sticker. Todd could probably confirm this. Another fridge freezer to consider is the item offered by sidewinder my brother has one atm but only for a short period so far but is very happy with it. Sidewinder appear to make very good products at a reasonable price.
Old 27-04-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Jimbo,

Sorry for the late reply but the ARB is just an Engel with a different badge. Engel is a great fridge as previously mentioned..

Just for those looking at the lower end of the market as well, both Engel and Evakool offer plastic fridges similar to the Waeco. Personally if i were looking at a plastic fridge, i would be going for one of these 2. Don't get me wrong, i don't have an axe to grind against Waeco but over the years i have just witnessed (both first hand and with friends/acquaintences/clients) so so so many problems with Waeco it isn't funny. In saying that though, they were priced so well, they were outselling the other brands. Therefore i suppose you need to look at ratio sold to repairs required......

The main thing you need to remember is the insulation makes the difference. When buying a plastic fridge remember to grab the insulation bag.
Old 28-04-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

arb have put out a new fridge and its all them... well acyually its a german compressor and heaps of jap bits added to it but its their own!!! i am very sure of this!