XJ for towing - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-04-2009
LokRinger

Liked 1,769 Times in 560 Posts

My packs have had an extra leaf added which was another main leaf with the eyes cut off. That gave around 1-1.5" of lift. The spring mounts themselves are mounted 3" below stock as well as the 1/2" lift you get from the airbags at 10 psi. I would mind dropping the height a little more so looking for the best way to do it. Not necessarily the easiest way but want gives the best results.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 27-04-2009

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dont forget to run the biggest auto trans cooler you can for your towing!!!
Old 27-04-2009
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If towing a van and I tow a 15 ft Jayco Destiny fitted with the outback pack (better wheels, tyres and chassis) forget about towing in "D" unless on dead flat ground with a tail wind.
locked in 3rd I can average approx 15 litres per 100K
and it is so much easier on the vehicle running gear
I am in the proces of cutting a hole in my splash pan to fit a 14 * 7 inch alloy transmission cooler that will be plumbed in line with the existing transmission cooling system (this cooler will have a slide in cover to protect it in off road situations where needed)
Old 27-04-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,114 Times in 694 Posts

I have also purchased an alloy external cooler off a V8 Landrover which is around 700mm long which I will be fitting to ours but I was looking at removing the connection to the radiator and just use the factory external and the new one....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 27-04-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Don't reset USA made springs as will drop back down in no time. Better just to add a add-a-leaf like I am selling here.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300309977896

I fitted another one of these to my dads XJ for his towing of a similar sized caravan.
Hey GoJeep,

Love your web site, it was kinda the reason I bought the XJ in the first place but the MIL fell in love with it and we never got it back after loaning it to her while we took the Disco on holidays.

After getting a ZG when we returned we soon discovered that all Jeeps are not equal and the Mrs is now driving an all reliable Corolla and the XJ is getting pampered in the hands of my MIL much to our disapointment.

But getting back to the task at hand, the add a leaf leaves your selling lift about 2".......? Is that from stock + 2" or is that from sagged 2" back to standard height or there abouts as Im assuming it does.

Ive never stuffed around with leaf springs other than changing bushes and adding lowering/raising blocks and longer shackles to standard springs or having standard springs retempered to bring them back to life so im trying to work out if this is the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Im not worrying much at this stage about trans cooling, they will be lucky to be towing the van more than 2 hrs in any 1 stretch and that wont be over 80 to 90kmh.

I will show her how to use lock 3rd though, thats a great tip that I had not thought of as it pulls their 17.5'/980kg van like it wasnt there now.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 29-04-2009
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

if anyone is going to add an additional transmission cooler then make sure that the tranny fliud goes through the rad cooler as this is what keeps the oil at the correct operating temp so if you run twin external coolers (original Jeep + an extra) then you have a good chance of oil going back to transmission at a temp lower than best operating temp so always ensure that fliud goes through rad last before returning to transmission
Old 29-04-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
if anyone is going to add an additional transmission cooler then make sure that the tranny fliud goes through the rad cooler as this is what keeps the oil at the correct operating temp so if you run twin external coolers (original Jeep + an extra) then you have a good chance of oil going back to transmission at a temp lower than best operating temp so always ensure that fliud goes through rad last before returning to transmission
Hey Grant ....

What is this mythical, ideal operating temp that everyone thinks the AW4 should be operating at ... and where should the temp be measured at ???

Ive been given all sorts of guesses from 60'C - 120'C ... not too mention the majority of gearbox and radiator shops I've spoken to ... suggesting - bypassing the radiator.

Your input would be appreciated, so as to be included with some temperature test results I intend posting after 6-8 weeks different running conditions.

Cheers

Last edited by carvesdodo; 29-04-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply