Safety Recall N23 for WH anyone had it done yet? - Page 104 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-12-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron57 View Post
OK, thanks gents for that advice. The "Service 4WD System" alarm has now become permanent. Neither the fuse trick nor the actuator plug trick worked when the alarm appeared for the second time, 4 days after the re-flash. Maybe that indicates an unrelated fault but the timing makes the suggestion hard to credit. I need wiTECH to check the code and assuming it is C140F, to check the voltage as per Step 6 of the Fault Finding Procedure (Step 2 was a "Yes" - steady 5.01V). It means a 160 km round trip to the dealer. I shall call Melbourne first and request a commitment from Customer Services to pay for the actuator if proven faulty. Otherwise the dealer will expect me to pay for the whole exercise (given that I am apparently their first customer with the problem). Actuator from US via eBay is only $320 and a couple of weeks, so I do not want to risk wearing the dealer's $800 bill for the job.
When dealing with Jeep Aust. or the Dealer put everything in writing and make notes with dates and times. Also record phone conversation if possible. Don't rely on just a phone conversation with Jeep Aust. Record any phone conversations. You can get Apps for doing this.
If you do all of this Jeep will have to fix the issue and will act very fast once you disclose you have kept notes and recordings to prove your case.
But you do this in a polite, firm but friendly way.
Old 22-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 846 Times in 474 Posts

Lets not forget that the N23 was a world wide SAFETY related recall mandated by the relevant US govt dept (as was the case in Aust) FC worldwide are legally obliged to fix the problem. Dealers cannot pretend not to be aware of this problem, if they sold one Commander or WH Grand Cherokee they would /should have received TSBs on this subject. Maybe FC should send out a letter to all WH and Commander owners asking them to pull ,their Low 4x4 lever,then the real extent of their stuff up would be apparent.!!! Take in the original N23 recall notice and stick it under the dealers nose just to remind them who is liable for repairs and labour.
Old 22-12-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Good news & bad news.
First the bad: Had a brief, fruitless discussion with Customer Services this morning. In short, they will not agree to

Last edited by Redbaron57; 23-12-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 22-12-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

You need to shift the transmission to "neutral" before you raise the transfer case "T" handle prior to engaging 4WD Low when dis-engaging 4x4 low. If you haven't been doing this I'd say you've solved the issue.
Old 22-12-2014
AJOR Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoea26 View Post
You need to shift the transmission to "neutral" before you raise the transfer case "T" handle prior to engaging 4WD Low when dis-engaging 4x4 low. If you haven't been doing this I'd say you've solved the issue.
I guess my post wasn't clear Roscoea26. As per my earlier post, 4 days after the latest TCM reflash I had a "Service 4WD System" alarm that would not go away with the fuse trick. The fuse trick had previously worked many times but this time it didn't. I suspected it was fault code C1438 but I was not sure. It occurs if the transfer case doesn't fully engage. I thought I was stuck with a 160km round trip to the dealer to clear the code. Then, after first doing the fuse trick, immediately after turning on I tried putting the transfer case in neutral (key on, engine off, auto trans in Neutral and foot on brake, then depress the little button by the "T" handle for 4 seconds). After the EVIC showed I had Transfer Case Neutral, I re-engaged it. The code went away and 4WD Lo worked again.

Since then I have tried selecting 4WD Lo half a dozen or more times. I got the "Service 4WD System" alarm again a couple of times but the fuse trick cleared it. I have tested my 5V supply - OK. I will test all my wiring for shorts to power and earth as per the manual. I doubt I fill find anything. I predict I will be off to the dealer for them to do steps 3 and 6 of the procedure and tell me I need an actuator. Then comes another discussion with Jeep Australia.

Last edited by Redbaron57; 23-12-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2015
AJOR Gold

Default Is the actuator innocent?

Since the latest TCM re-flash it seems clear that I only get the "Service 4WD System" alarm when the vehicle battery charge is abnormally low. The transfer case actuator may have been in the frame unjustly.
After the vehicle had sat for a week then only run for short trips around the neighborhood, the alarm was appearing each morning. The fuse trick cleared it each time. I could not find a wiring fault and the 5V supply appeared constant at 5.01V.
Then the battery became so flat that it was reluctant to crank.
Since recharging the battery there have been no alarms for several days. I used 4WD Lo half a dozen times yesterday without problems.
I thought maybe there is a dodgy diode in the alternator causing a rough output but in retrospect I seem to recall that the alarm was appearing before the engine was started.
If I can find a recording device with a fast sampling rate I will try running the battery down and charting the battery voltage and 5V supply while switching-on and starting. I may be able to catch the gremlin in the act.
Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

So, further to my previous post (#711) I had my Jeep back at Nunawading for 160000km service and to have my new FDCM installed on Friday.
Well they ring me at 4.00pm in the afternoon and tell me my Jeep is ready to be picked up but there is a problem.
So I go down there, and they tell me that I still have the 'Service 4WD system' fault up and that the problem has to be in the wiring.
"Sir, we have installed a brand new FDCM, checked the actuator works correctly, and fully checked the transfer case. All works fine so the issue must be in the wiring and the auto elecs are not back until next week so we will need to book in another time to have the wiring fully checked".
So I tell them I will need to call them back to arrange another time that suits me as the Jeep is my wifes daily driver and we have three kids to get around.

Well I did not believe for one minute that there was a problem in the wiring so today I finally had some time to have a look myself (and to finish installing my rear view camera). So out with the 18mm socket, pull out the two bolts holding down my back seat, and there it was. A brand new FDCM. I look at the part number on it, then look again to make sure, and guess what, it is the wrong part number. They had installed an FDCM with part number P68235713AA. So here I am instantly thinking there is the problem. I disconnect the battery, wait five minutes, then pull it out. I then put in my pre-nuked FDCM (with the same part number as what was originally in my car P56044199AK), re-connected the battery, drove down the road, stopped, put the trans in neutral, and pull up the T handle.
Voila, 4WD Low working again.

So I ring Jeep back and tell him that there is definitely no problem with my wiring, and that they have put the wrong part number FDCM in my car. My understanding and research has led me to believe that the replacement FDCM's should be part number P56044199AO.
"I will go and talk to spare parts and find out what has happened and will call you back" he says to me.

He calls me back 15 minutes later and says, "the system says that the replacement part number should be P68235713AA for your VIN. We took out a P56044199AK from your car and our system says that that part number should not have been in your car. Are you sure it is the original FDCM?"

WTF?, of course it is the f*cken original, you guys f*cked it when you did the silly N23 update that we did not even need here in Australia.

I will call you back in five minutes he says to me.
'OK then'

He calls me back and says, " we are going to need to reflash your new module and get that working, because if your other FDCM works, obviously there is no fault in the wiring. Do you think you could also leave us with your FDCM that works?"

"NO F*CKEN WAY, LET ME MAKE ONE THING VERY CLEAR TO YOU, NO-ONE AT JEEP IS GOING TO LAY ONE FINGER ON MY FDCM THAT IS PRE-NUKED"

So now I just have to try and find the time for them to piss fart around with the brand new FDCM they have installed.
That's my saga.