Wh Grand Cherokee Common Faults And Issues - Page 12 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-05-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Welcome John,

I was previously a Nissan man, having had many from the Exa to the 4.2 Diesel Patrol. There has also been Toyota's in the family so well aware of them, including Cruisers.

But none of them are really a match for the Jeep. Even though the Tojo owners may scoff, it really is "A Jeep Thing". Once you get one, you fall in love with them, warts and all.

But if something does go wrong, you can get it repaired very cheaply if you know where to look. Much cheaper than a Toyota. There is a HUGE market in the US, and as such everything is dirt cheap to get. It's just takes a week to ship. Obviously you don't buy from a dealer in OZ, as that is scary.

Buying one that is chipped could be a concern though. There has been a lot of stuff here about things going wrong if chipped, but then others stand by it.

I was also toying with a Prado, but spoke with a mate who had a Jeep and traded it for a Prado. He said the Prado is a good relaible car, but just plain bland with a capital BLAND compared to his GC.
Old 27-05-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lee View Post
Now you guys are scaring me off with all of these niggles I have been a 20 year Toyota operator 'till 6 mths ago (last vehicle a 03 Cruiser 4.2D) & want to get back into 4WD & thought a WG/H diesel Jeep might be about the right size. The cruiser is too big for me now & I loathe the side opening rear door on the Prado so it's another brand that I have to look at. I thought the Jeep might fit. But it looks like there might be a few issues? I have an acquaintance who has a 2008 3.0 V6 diesel WH available early next year. It has been power chipped & he says its producing 195kw and 610Nm which seems pretty good to me. It will have 90K on the clock at sale time. He tows a 26' Jayco with it. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that it would be a good machine. I know he looks after it well.

JL
G'day JL,
If you after some detailed info PM me and i'll give you my number.
I tow a 3T off road van do a bit of wheeling and drive it everyday and it's the best thing i've owned (it's a 3.0L CRD)

Peter.

"Such Is Life"
Old 07-06-2011
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi JL,
I agree with Peter, just towed my van which is nearly 3 tonne from Brisbane to Darwin via the Channel Country in western Qld. Averaged 16.9 l/100 which is exceptional sitting on between 85 and 100 depending on road conditions. Just before leaving I had CRDStu fit a snorkel whic has made a huge improvement in consumption. Since being in Darwin I have now re-flashed the ECU with CRDStu's new tune. Aopart from the obvious improvement in power I will be carrying out consumption tests whilst towing the van over to the Kimberleys.

Cheers

dave
Old 14-08-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have just replaced both front wheel hubs at 150,000km. Had to get them Ex-USA but was worth the trouble of doing it myself after quotes from local mechanics were quite high. The hardest part was hammering off the discs from the wheel assembly which are a real pain due to the aluminium meshing with the steel discs. Good thing I did do it myself as I found a split CV boot seal leaking grease and oil. My gearbox sounds like it's slipping too so I might have to drain the fluid out of it at the next service just to be sure.
Old 09-09-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default service 4WD system

I just came back from Palmer river goldfields in my WH Grand Cherokee Ltd and after two days back the "service 4wd system" light has come on permanently. Took it to Northstar at Redcliff as it was due for 100k service. $1K for 100k service but light still on and I have to bring it back to be diagnosed. Took it back and was told 1) New Module for transfer case 2) Actuator axel lock 3) Housing shifter and lever. These were the parts required at a cost of $2,871 plus 4 hours labour to install and $250.00 for diagnostics. This all seems a bit expensive to me as I feel it would be unlikely that those parts would suddenly be un serviceable. Any one else had problems with the 4wd system. The vehicle drives and feels fine but I don't want to cause any damage so if anyone has any advice would appreciate it.
Old 30-12-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4WD Service message

We have just returned from 6 months on the road towing a 24ft van.

Did a front drive shaft in Noosa in Oct and a week after it was repaired I got the message about servicing the 4WD system

Did a rear drive shaft in SA two weeks ago and after that the service sign came on again.

Spoke to the garage and to Jeep and they both said it was simply a matter of having the computer re-set. Will take in for a service in the next week or so and see what happens

The main concern is the 2 drive shafts. Maybe the Jeep is not built to tow such a big van. Maybe I need to change 4WD's.

Anybody any similar problems

Regards
Old 01-01-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Jeep reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb View Post
We have just returned from 6 months on the road towing a 24ft van.

Did a front drive shaft in Noosa in Oct and a week after it was repaired I got the message about servicing the 4WD system

Did a rear drive shaft in SA two weeks ago and after that the service sign came on again.

Spoke to the garage and to Jeep and they both said it was simply a matter of having the computer re-set. Will take in for a service in the next week or so and see what happens

The main concern is the 2 drive shafts. Maybe the Jeep is not built to tow such a big van. Maybe I need to change 4WD's.

Anybody any similar problems

Regards
Hi apb, you poor bugger, I know what it feels like to breakdown, it's "s--t"!!

No offence to you but I have been on the road for over 3 years and I constantly see caravanners taking off from traffic lights/intersections as though they don't have a van attached.
They seem to forget that they are, in effect, driving an articulated vehicle, some think us caravanners should have a truck license, humm.

Next and often first, but ignored by most at their peril, is the added weight to your truck and vehicle.

As you have been on the road for 6 months you have probably loaded your vehicle and your van?? - it is worth putting both of them over a weighbridge - you may be very surprised by the result. - I was, but will not comment publicly, Jeep have honored their warranty in spades.

Remember, if your vehicle is very well loaded (fridge/camping gear etc) it will actually reduce it's towing capacity, many don't realise this.

You have not stated your vehicle engine size/fuel type/caravan type or its gmv, any suspension modifications to your WJ or wether you use a WDH (weight distribution hitch) so I cannot comment with figures.

I'm sure you understand the additional stress put on various components when towing - every bit of rough road whether bitumen or dirt is doing you damage at higher speeds - that applies to all brands - because there's more of the "others" you hear less about their problems.

One last thought, have you considered the age of the vehicle you are driving in relation to wear and tear on components, maybe all those items were going to happen anyway, but, because you are towing have happened a damn sight quicker than you would have liked and unfortunately for you these always happen at the worst possible time!

I can only speak for my experience, as I am on my second Jeep (KJ CRD 2.8L, WH CRD V6 Merc engine)
The additional stresses on mine having travelled 110,000 Km in 3 years, with the van attached 50% of the time has certainly caused issues that others on this forum have not experienced, namely front drive shaft and rear diff rebuild.

If you compare the other brands tow capacity and power to weight ratios you will understand that unless you trade up to a $100K ++ LC or Pootrol there's not a lot that can get close to the towing capacity, unless you look at $83K for a Pathfinder.

So value for money, excellent power plant, good warranty and backup service, will keep me in the Jeep family for many years.

Cheers, John