TJ: Phil's 2003 Upgrade (finally!!) - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What about BFG's? I've been told they're the only ones with 6 ply all the way around, including the sidewalls (whatever that means)? It would be nice to keep it under 5K as that was the budget - I'll definitely give the bighorns a look over.
Old 09-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Barbie View Post
Good to hear

With tyres do you care if they're loud on road? will you be doing a lot of off road stuff? if so, what terrain are you most interested in?

I've had 31" bighorns and now have 33" bighorns and love them. great on road and great off road. They've been compared with the KM2s before and for the huge price difference, Bighorns are definately the best buy. Obviously do your own research first, but thats my opinion.
shouldnt you being tooting A radial trepadores horn for various reasons Ab? definately better tyre than a few of the above mentioned.

Nice work on the sponsorship btw.
Old 09-06-2010
TerraFlexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what i have read and heard, Big Horns won the test on best all rounda and i read that some one thinks they preform a lot like bfg's without the price tag.
I have km2's and they seem pretty good to me, on road/off road/mud/rock, they seem to handle it well, in sayin that my mate has big horns in a 33x12.5 and they seemed great when i seen them in action, another mate just put some big horn 35x12.5's on this arvo so ill see how the compare to my km2's

Cheers
Old 09-06-2010
TJ DRIVER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
What about BFG's? I've been told they're the only ones with 6 ply all the way around, including the sidewalls (whatever that means)? It would be nice to keep it under 5K as that was the budget - I'll definitely give the bighorns a look over.
bfg km2 , pro comp extreme mud terrain , cooper stt , mickey t mtz , goodyear mtr all have 3 ply sidewalls in the size you are looking at .

bighorns, buckshots , federals , hankooks , nankangs , etc all have 2 ply sidewalls .
Old 09-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't seen anywhere online yet with prices for the bighorns - any pointers there either as a URL or some prices?

AB my Jeep is a toy, so I'm not really setting it up for on-road. My main goals are to get the height so I'm not whacking everything under my car (ouch) so tires suitable for rock crawls, and secondary goal to have more traction when hitting the mud.

I've got until the lift kit is installed before needing to decide on the tires, so it will be the balance between price and performance.

How much am I sacrificing in grip by only having 10.5" wide rather than 12" wide? I don't particularly want to fork out the extra $700 for flares yet, but it would be good to know.
Old 10-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bunnings garden edging will do the trick!
nothing wrong with a skinny mud tyre.. alot of support for them working well offroad
Old 10-06-2010
TJ DRIVER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

or save some money and buy 15 inch wheels and tyres ( most brands of wheels and tyres are cheaper in 15" not all but most ) and buy some wider flares .
Post New Thread  Reply