TJ: Phil's 2003 Upgrade (finally!!) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default TJ: Phil's 2003 Upgrade (finally!!)

Yeah, finally got the go with putting some $$ down for some much needed upgrades. The stock tyres are bald, there are some things that need fixing, and too many scrapes underneath to warrant NOT upgrading!

I'm currently looking at one of the two kits on 4WD1.com (http://www.4wd1.com/TJ-Wrangler-Suspension.htm) but not 100% sure yet. The basic idea is:

Lift 2.5 Inches
Tyres 32's or 33's All Terrain

Plus some other stuff to make it look cool, but I'll go with just the lift kit and tyres to start with. Here's what it looks like at the moment...

So yeah, any pointers on where to go with this upgrade would be appreciated - I don't want to spend over 3-5K at this point - hopefully to get rubber and springs that'll dramatically increase my RTI and clearance.
Old 07-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Barbie View Post
if you're wanting to increase your RTI, look into after market control arms. Rubicon Express Superflex arms for example.
Hmm - can this still fit within a 5K budget? I always thought long-arm meant 35s, SYE, and everything else. Can you point me to an URL on the superflex?

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Barbie View Post
Superflex arms are by rubicon express, not longarms, still shortarms.
Give Wooders a call and talk to him about a decent lift.. Anything is better than Rancho

Superflex arms link: http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?...ort=20a&page=3
Excellent. Not a bad price either. Now I only need to decide between the 3.5" or the 4.5" kit.

Since my first post I haven't seen anything other than a smooth sales writeup on Rancho that speaks well of their suspension kits - great at shocks but sub-par on their kits.

I noticed you are in Brisbane - do you know a local (or even better a Gold Coast based) reseller of Rubicon Express? Are you member of the Brisbane Jeepers?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
Excellent. Not a bad price either. Now I only need to decide between the 3.5" or the 4.5" kit.

Since my first post I haven't seen anything other than a smooth sales writeup on Rancho that speaks well of their suspension kits - great at shocks but sub-par on their kits.

I noticed you are in Brisbane - do you know a local (or even better a Gold Coast based) reseller of Rubicon Express? Are you member of the Brisbane Jeepers?

Thanks for your help.

Wooders can put together a 2.5" kit for you. It uses the 3.5" parts but with the 2.5" Springs (also good if you decide you want 3.5" springs later on). Superflex arms desribe the joint used in rubicon express arms. Rubicon express make both longarms and shortarms that can still be both called 'superflex' - its just the joint they use on their arms. You can have longarms, 2.5" lift and 32's if you want, but its probably overkill, and much more expensive.

You will definantly need an SYE with the 3.5", and lower ratios with 32s/33s. it depends what you want to go for. with 2.5" other mods are required to get the same flex offroad compared to 3.5". (fender trimming etc).

Last edited by Will239; 08-06-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, so I've locked down the kit I'm buying.

FYI Wooders were great! They are into working with your budget and completely honest. REALLY helpful and even suggested that he'd prefer to see me investing in some good tools than to spend $600 on getting someone else to install it for me - how's that for honesty! Another company completely rubbished what I was doing and proceeded to tell me that the only system worth looking at was around $5,500, and that was without rubber.

Ok so here goes...

Lift Kit - Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Kit
Slipyoke - Slipyoke light, rear adjustable arms, lower shock relocation brackets and rubicon express driveshaft
Additional - Front adjustable panhard, Rubicon Express shocks.

TOTAL LIFT KIT - $3,635

Now I just need to decide on the rubber. I like the Mickey Thompsons, so I'm budgeting around $350 / tyre (x 5) for 33" x 16" rims x 10.5-12.5" wide (although over 10.5" I'll have to get extended flares) -
TOTAL FOR TYRES - $1750.

TOTAL LIFT + TYRES = $5444 inc postage

I'm not going gearing yet - I'll suck it and see how it goes. As it is I can't use 5th gear, so this may make it a bit worse. We'll see.

Last edited by johnsy; 08-06-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2010
Sponsored by Centrelink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

claws are good gear..
that and pro comp xtreme terrains
Old 08-06-2010
TJ DRIVER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

stick with the mtz as it is a much better built tyre than a bighorn and is not as noisy on the road either out of all the mud tyres i have owned ( 12 sets in 2 years ) the mtz have been the best all round tyre to date and have had the best wear rate and the least road noise the next best thing for a round use including road use would have been the maxxis radial trepador but it wore alot quicker and the lugs round of quickly due to there softer compound rubber compared to american built tyres like mt , pro comp , bfg , goodyear etc .
Post New Thread  Reply