Huge mistake ... really big ... need help !! - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihull View Post
If you want to go off road the only way to go is diesel. Why, more low down grunt "torque"
If you plan to tow big stuff go diesel. Why, more low down grunt "torque"
If you want better resale go the diesel.
If it the go factor and a street machine and you can't resist the rumble of a big block Hemi go the 5.7 petrol.

you know the hemi and the CRD both have 550nm of torque right..

i agree obviously the diesel finds the torque lower and is a great offroad option.
but so is that 5.7 that's an awesome engine and it WILL still be very if not as capable offroad.
the Americans put that hemi in there JK's for a reason.
Old 07-02-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysTJ View Post
you know the hemi and the CRD both have 550nm of torque right..

i agree obviously the diesel finds the torque lower and is a great offroad option.
but so is that 5.7 that's an awesome engine and it WILL still be very if not as capable offroad.
the Americans put that hemi in there JK's for a reason.
I went the diesel really for the off the shelf touring range, though was mighty tempted by the Hemi!!!!!
Old 07-02-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sege View Post
I went the diesel really for the off the shelf touring range, though was mighty tempted by the Hemi!!!!!
yeah fair call! actually all the engines they currently have out are quite nice! i'd swap my 4.0L for them anyday :P not that i dislike it but it would be nice to actually cruise down the highway easily aha

what do you get roughly per 100km fuel wise, with just day to day driving with the diesel?
Old 07-02-2012
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

If the fuel isn't an issue, get a HEMI. I got the HEMI over a diesel out of two reasons: sound (I already have a diesel for work, so wanted a petrol) and cheap US parts for maintenance or repairs (if any).

I do lack the tank mileage. In my work diesel, constantly carrying load, I'll get around 700 k's out of a 60L tank but the Jeep on open road 550 k's on close to 80L tank. In the city, sometimes it gets as low as 300 k's out of a tank. The CRD would get close to 1000 k's from what I've heard.

Yeah, and good choice over a Prado. I drove a Prado before I got into Jeeps. Before it was just a car, go a bit bush, did what it had to do and that's it, no attachment. From first time owning a Jeep, fell in love with them and attached to them. You can't explain this to non-Jeep drivers, like my father, brothers and friends who all have Toyotas and Nissans. I guess it's a Jeep thing. The Prado was a flimsy thing in comparison to the Jeep in many ways but it did have better aftermarket products and had higher clearance, etc. But for what I do with new and fairly new cars, Jeep is more than enough.

And I love the roar of my HEMI.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 08-02-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
I think you just answered your own question, ol' dog. Go the hubba hubba!!!!!!
And don't forget that the Toy Prado is only a Jeep wannabee in any case, minus 2 cylinders to boot Pttttttt!!!!
I think you're right Chriso ...

I've even been trawling through various forums trying to find reliability issues and have only found some isolated issues nothing endemic or some bitch harping on about having to pay for her satnav maps. Do a search on Ford Territory or Land Rover and there's hours of reading to get through.

My resale is locked in, through the residual. I will only pay for fuel (petrol or diesel) if I go over 20k in a year (I average about 18k over the last 15 years) which also means I'm also insulated against bowser fluctuations. We will do a little 4wding (is that a word??) to beaches and picnic spots but nothing hard core like some of the videos on here nor do I see us treking into the deep corners of the continent where I will need a 1000km range fuel tank.

I like being in a car, it will be my daily driver. So I want something comfortable, nice to drive and enough space to handle 3 teenagers and assorted sports gear. The GC on the short drive ticked all the boxes.

The eco responsible thing to do is get the diesel and I know that will be a great car too but .... geez ..... 5.7 Litre .... V8 .... HEMI. Am I going through another mid-life crisis?

I want the Hemi, so I guess I am looking for someone to present an argument to talk me out of it.
Old 08-02-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

If I did it again, V8 and Overland..!
Old 08-02-2012
asp_777
Visitor

I want to know how you get a $30/m lease !!!!!!!!!!!!
Post New Thread  Reply