Transfer and Gearbox breathers.... - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-10-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

OK, so is it simply a matter of removing the rubber boot on the centre console to gain access to the tranny outlet pictured or is there more to it than that?
Old 27-10-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Shall let you know... won't be any time soon.... but will happen
Old 27-10-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklad View Post
OK, so is it simply a matter of removing the rubber boot on the centre console to gain access to the tranny outlet pictured or is there more to it than that?
remove the boot on the centre console. it is fastened to the plastic base and you pry up the plastic base. two clips at the back and a lug at the front so pry up at the back to release clips and then lift the back and and pull to the rear to disengage the lug at the front. once that is done you will see a second rubber boot which is again round the gear stick and fastened to the body floor pan. it just pushes into place so just pull it upwards. once that is up you're looking at the top of the gearbox. whn the handbook says 500mm fording depth it means just that. any more and you fill the gearbox with water.
Old 28-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
...when the handbook says 500mm fording depth it means just that. any more and you fill the gearbox with water.
Yeah I know; done it once already when I got bogged with muddy water half way up the doors in a deep waterhole when I'd had the thing only a month.

That's why I want to do it now before I come unstuck again; misjudged the Eli creek crossing at high tide up on Fraser recently (stupidly failed to notice that the old Hi-lux ahead of me, who struggled to make it through, was running like a 6" lift & 37s) and found myself almost floating out to sea but kept my momentum up & made it through thank f**k. Already done the diff breathers, now time for the t/case & tranny.

Last edited by jklad; 28-10-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 28-10-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Jklad, did you change your transfer and gbox oils???
Old 28-10-2010
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Ok... so what is this bit marked in the photo (CRD manual)... The service manual doesn't have any pics which actually show this, since all it really talks about is gearbox removal, not how to service the gearbox itself.

That shot is from underneath, but essentially it's a L-shape plastic tube on the side of the gearbox, half way up. The end of the L faces upwards and appears to have a soft spongy insert (by touch), facing upwards...

I recently got contamination in my gearbox (jumping out of 4th gear unless held there until clutch release when gearbox was hot) and did an oil change.... i'd done a few muddy dips...

When I removed the console boot inside the car, as advised on a different thread here, it didn't look at all dirty in that area, so i'd doubt that was at the top that the contamination happened.

Once I'd changed the oil, the problem gradually alleviated, but didn't stop completely until I did some driving last weekend which actually ran at high revs for some time... then coming back on the freeway, I noticed the problem seems gone!

Perhaps plodding along at 1,500rpm to 2,500rpm (my road driving style LOL) didn't seem to move oil around in the gearbox enough...

All just observations...

Last edited by r1chard; 28-10-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: more info
Old 28-10-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyd View Post
Jklad, did you change your transfer and gbox oils???
Yeah, changed the lot the first time after submerging it in the water hole (had water in everything but the engine oil, even though the block was submerged; guess all the engine seals are good) and did the diff breathers then; got the front outlet up by the brake master cylinder & the rear up behind the right tail light.

Checked the tranny & transfer case fluids after my swim at Fraser but all good, so guess it wasn't in the water long enough for it to get in; first time I drowned it, it sat in the waterhole for an hour before we could recover it so the water had plenty of time to find its way in through the stock breathers & past the flimsy axel & pinion seals.
Post New Thread  Reply