GPS Software that's good offroad ? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdavid View Post
Fugawi make a CE verion although I have only used the pc version. Gmapcatcher is very good but not sure it runs on ce as I use it on a netbook. I also run Garmin Mobile pc on the netbook and it also does a good job offroad.
10 years ago, using laptops and pocket PCs was the only option. Now days with Android and Apple technology, why are people still bothering with CE software?

iPad 16GB 3G (which has the GPS) retails for $729. The VMS app is $149. The RAM mount for mounting the think is around $100. is So for $1000, you can have pretty much the best setup out there. This is a setup anyone can do because it's simple. BTW, maps on a 10 inch captive touchscreen is sweet!!! Tablets are great for going away too because you can do your email, photos on it. No more laptop, yah!!!!

I'll take a photo of my setup in the JK tomorrow when it's light out.

If you don't like apple, there are other choices such as Android. But then setup is more complicated so it's really back to square one.

So to sum it up, if you are a noobie, haven't used or setup off road GPS software before, save yourself lots of headache and get an iPhone/iPad. You'll thank me for it. If you have experience, then most likely you already know the setup you want or are capable of doing the right research so probably not reading this anyway.

My 2 cents
Old 05-04-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Thanks Roger - the reason why i persist is a 7" touch screen, bluetooth 16GB etc etc for just over $100. including a wireless reversing camera. Includes IGo Primo ( which is great on road but a problem on tracks )

I already have a Ozi CE license and amy happy with it.

So why waste money for things i dont't need.
Old 05-04-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbind View Post
10 years ago, using laptops and pocket PCs was the only option. Now days with Android and Apple technology, why are people still bothering with CE software?

iPad 16GB 3G (which has the GPS) retails for $729. The VMS app is $149. The RAM mount for mounting the think is around $100. is So for $1000, you can have pretty much the best setup out there. This is a setup anyone can do because it's simple. BTW, maps on a 10 inch captive touchscreen is sweet!!! Tablets are great for going away too because you can do your email, photos on it. No more laptop, yah!!!!

If you don't like apple, there are other choices such as Android. But then setup is more complicated so it's really back to square one.

So to sum it up, if you are a noobie, haven't used or setup off road GPS software before, save yourself lots of headache and get an iPhone/iPad. You'll thank me for it. If you have experience, then most likely you already know the setup you want or are capable of doing the right research so probably not reading this anyway.

My 2 cents
I have been waiting for about a year now for VMS to bring out a jeep option and they have. The VMS 7574 looks exactly like the MyGig with all the Australian on and off road maps you might need (good luck trying to load off road maps on the stock head unit).

However the $2995 price came as a real shock, as the Kenwood units (DNX5360NAV, $1200) and Pioneer (AVH-2350DVD with Satnav $1600) have come down heaps in price over the last few years.

The VMS maps are only about $150 on their own, so that doesn't explain the outrageous 2007 time warp price.

If someone knows where and how to buy these VMS head units for the 'real price' please let me know.
Old 05-04-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been down the ebay cheapy devices before too and found that rather than enjoying my trip, most of the time, i'm configuring software or fixing the hardware or both. It's definitely not for the faint hearted. Good luck with that.
Old 05-04-2011
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdavid View Post
Fugawi make a CE verion although I have only used the pc version. Gmapcatcher is very good but not sure it runs on ce as I use it on a netbook. I also run Garmin Mobile pc on the netbook and it also does a good job offroad.
What map sets do you run with Garmin Mobile PC, I find it works well on road and not too bad offroad but could really do with some more detail. Because of this I switch between Ozi, for the detail TOPO maps and Garmin. I prefer Garmin as it looks much nicer etc but its lacking the real detail

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbind View Post

My 2 cents

Awesome idea!!! Massive screen, plus the benefits of other apps and at the end of the day you have an iPad to use at home or work too!!

BRILLIANT.
Old 05-04-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG View Post
Awesome idea!!! Massive screen, plus the benefits of other apps and at the end of the day you have an iPad to use at home or work too!!

BRILLIANT.
Yep, definitely the way to go. I puzzles me why people are still mucking around with technology that is old and clunky. When i started with GPS, Ozi was the best around because it was literally the only option around. But now with Tablets, smartphones, newer and better apps, I don't bother with Ozi.

Roger
Post New Thread  Reply