Vibration from 10 kph - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Mate, flick an email to Keith at GDE and let him know exactly whats going on, he may have an answer
Old 11-09-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience View Post
Mate, flick an email to Keith at GDE and let him know exactly whats going on, he may have an answer
Thx, I was thinking about doing that.
Old 13-09-2015
Full Flexer

I found the L/H front axle CV has wear and some play. I've changed that over but the vibration is still there. I also think there's some wear the the front drive shaft (Prop shaft) forward CV so I'm going to change this too. (see my new thread "Front Drive Shaft Cv's" as I'm having trouble identifying and finding this part.)

Because there's no error codes I'm going through all the mechanical items first to eliminate these first. Mechanical items such as CV's and bearing or chipped diff teeth etc don't show up on the cars OBD error codes.
Old 14-09-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

work from the outside in eh ? start by checking wheels , balance and weights come off ? check inside for mudd collection check for tyre wear , check bearings and axles , check centre input shaft on diff , check pan hard rod , ball joints , steering play so on , check ALL from wheels up including steering box and all. lifted ? do you have the correct spacer for that in the front shaft ? did you check the centre rubber mount for the auto ? (and engine mounts) I think the best idea is to lift up the whole front off the ground of jeep and get someone to go through it with you (sometimes it helps to have another set of hands )
Old 14-09-2015
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetnblurt View Post
work from the outside in eh ? start by checking wheels , balance and weights come off ? check inside for mudd collection check for tyre wear , check bearings and axles , check centre input shaft on diff , check pan hard rod , ball joints , steering play so on , check ALL from wheels up including steering box and all. lifted ? do you have the correct spacer for that in the front shaft ? did you check the centre rubber mount for the auto ? (and engine mounts) I think the best idea is to lift up the whole front off the ground of jeep and get someone to go through it with you (sometimes it helps to have another set of hands )
Thank for the advice. I've had the lift for 8 years now and never had an issue so the set up is all correct. I'm now slowly going through the complete check list. So far I found:
1 x L/H UCA ball joint that had excess play - Now replaced
1 x L/H axle CV slightly worn - Now replaced
1 x front Prop shaft forward CV slightly worn - part on order
1 x front diff mounts torn - all 3 replaced 2 weeks ago
1 x rear prop shaft uni squeaking - replaced 2 months ago & checked again
Old 15-09-2015
Full Flexer

I'm back to thinking the issue is now tuning or an engine problem.
Would a faulty Swirl motor cause a vibration? Maybe a spring has broken which make the swirl motor fluctuate between open and partially open. I have never had oil dip onto the swirl motor. It looks perfectly clean from the exterior. Still no error codes but this could be because the GDE maybe stopping the code and CEL with it's remap.

The reason I ask is I'm still having issues with a vibration in the car when using my current and most recent GDE tune with DPF delete. This is a different tune to my first GDE tune I bought some 4 or 5 years ago. I believe the previous GDE tune did not have the swirl motor turn off. When I re tune to the Original Jeep tune or my older GDE tune the vibration is gone.

From what I understand the GDE tune changes fuel injection timing and maybe pressures. What else does it change or deletes?

This is from their website:
- EGR is eliminated and turbo lag is reduced significantly.
- The swirl motor is turned off and no CEL (Check Eng Light) if the motor has a failure (common problem on this application).

Custom deletes:
-Diesel Particular Filter delete (which I have)

Can anyone advise what GDE changes/
Also do you think a faulty swirl motor could be causing the vibration? How can I check? I have sent an email to GDE but had no reply after 4 days.