MY14 Diesel JGC Alternator Failure - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
I would rather not put an after market alternator on, but currently there is a 12 week wait to get a Jeep alternator from the US. Probably currently the fastest moving item in the JGC parts catalogue.
Nothing special about a Jeep branded alternator or other parts actually, I would actually prefer another brand since the OE fails, its really only dodgy diodes thats the problem so an auto lecky replacing the diode plate solves the problem, going genuine doesn't mean a better part just usually just costs more... most of the parts are generic items just with a Jeep Badge.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-07-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 266 Times in 145 Posts

As per Drover’s comments and to add a bit, the Denso’s in the Jeeps are not at fault and you can order a Jaylec alternative and bolt in or another Denso (Jeeps are just changing out, not solving the issue). Jaylec also do a diode pack replacement for this one. Heaps of posts, but end of day, replacing the alt is the only solution we have. Part numbers have already been discussed well here so you can search my posts or others for the replacements. If your in a hurry.
Old 07-07-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 775 Times in 403 Posts

Have a squizz on here, or find an outlet near you and give them a call, https://jasoceania.com.au/about
Bit hard to try and point you where to look as you havent provided town or location, but heres another one 220 amp, not 180amp, 2 year warranty https://cometbattery.com.au/shop/alt...sel-om642-exf/, SORRY DROVER just looked back and seen you already pegged this mob

I replaced my Denso Alt in my hilux with one of their Alternators, from memory 70amp job, Supercheap Auto could of got me the same thing, 3 days and 1/2 as much $$ again.
Oceania had it in stock, picked it up after work, took all of 20mins to remove the old and in with the new.

I did enquire about the Jeep when I picked up the above and they said they supply Jeep quite often when they require one, so dont think if you let Jeep do the job they are going to replace with OEM stock, when you think about it how are they going to do that when Jeep have no stock anyway.

Last edited by OLMATE; 07-07-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2021
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Nothing special about a Jeep branded alternator or other parts actually, I would actually prefer another brand since the OE fails, its really only dodgy diodes thats the problem so an auto lecky replacing the diode plate solves the problem, going genuine doesn't mean a better part just usually just costs more... most of the parts are generic items just with a Jeep Badge.
FCA/Stellantis is paying for the complete repair job, so I better use an OEM part.
Old 07-07-2021
MonsterMoose

If they haven't stipulated you must use an OE alternator when you are arranging the repair then I would just go ahead with getting a better unit, waiting months is BS, 4801835AD is the latest version which may mean they have sorted out the diode problem. They are available in the US just FCA only get parts sent when they fill a container and it floats across.

Old 09-07-2021
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
If they haven't stipulated you must use an OE alternator when you are arranging the repair then I would just go ahead with getting a better unit, waiting months is BS, 4801835AD is the latest version which may mean they have sorted out the diode problem. They are available in the US just FCA only get parts sent when they fill a container and it floats across.
I did get an OE alternator 4801835AD from Motorama Jeep spare parts, probably the last in Australia. The price was $332. Booked in next week to have it fitted.

Last edited by WarrenK; 10-07-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2021
MonsterMoose

That is buddy brilliant I reckon, many will be envious.

Post New Thread  Reply