GRAMPIANS in July... Take the Wrangler? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-06-2005
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

nothing on MJOC yet.
saw a few pictures posted on AusJeep recently, but that's all. I'll do another search
Old 22-06-2005
Jeepin' is incurable....

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 69 Times in 55 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T
How did this trip go?
What is the 4 wheeling like?

Do I take the Wrangler or the Mazda?
Trip was great, but be aware there are lots of seasonal closures and some of these were closed early . Take the TJ just in case and also explore Devils Garden area (near Lake Fyans) but be careful of tracks that appear to go somewhere and turn into two wheeler tracks pretty quickly, and the State Forests areas between the Grampians northern end Halls Gap / Stawell roads - these may now represent the best 4WDriving as most of them are not closed for the winter.

There is some very pretty spots and some great views, I suspect the 323 would be capable of seeing most of what's left open in the Grampians themselves but even the graded tracks can get slippery after all the rain they've had up there the past few weeks .
Old 23-06-2005
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Big T

what Bomber said

Take the TJ to get the best views - dirt roads and slippery as

You'll have a ball - zumsteins at dusk a must (lots of Kangaroos)
Mckenzie falls specatular
Stawell side around victoria range and goats track was really good

send some pictures of your trip

Tasar
Old 23-06-2005
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T
nothing on MJOC yet.
saw a few pictures posted on AusJeep recently, but that's all. I'll do another search
Have a good look at the photo gallery mate some great shots in that
there is a trip report now
Old 07-07-2005
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the info. We leave on Sunday in the Jeep.

Regarding track closures, I just found this great PDF that shows the tracks that are now closed for the winter: 16/06/05 to 27/10/05

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resour...2005/map31.pdf

looks like all the good ones that MJOC just did are now closed.
Never mind, I'll have to come back in the summer.
Old 07-07-2005
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Grampians from the air using Nasa's World Wind
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
180 Mb download though... ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grampians2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	12013   Click image for larger version

Name:	grampians.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	12014  
Old 26-07-2005
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

had a great time - took the Wrangler.

Most of the 'good' tracks mentioned above and on MJOC report were closed. Have to see them in summer.

Dunkeld wasn't too far away that it was a problem, and we got the cabin there cheap anyway through those travel auctions.

Zumsteins was absolutely roo free! Couldn't believe it....
But we saw plenty of roos every where else. Few close calls, and it kept me entertained wondering where a roo would hit my jeep and how much damage it woud do as I drove all around the area.

I must admit on some of the dirt roads around the west side I though to myself "what's the point of driving these bone shaking corrugations?"
You see there was not much of a view - you are driving around on the plains. The driving is not difficult to be an attraction itself, and the roads don't really lead to any views or anything different/touristy to see... yeah, i was in the Jeep - that's it I suppose.

The park is definately set up for hikers (which is ok).
but, nothing mentions 4x4, and there is very little signage or anything to encourage 4 wheelers. Good and bad depending on how you look at it.
We didn't see anyone as we were driving about.

Definately need to go back when the closed tracks are open.
But these would be less than 1% of the roads on the maps, so I hope they are fun and have good reasons for their closures...

BT
Post New Thread  Reply