TJ: Phil's 2003 Upgrade (finally!!) - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2010
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok about to order, just a couple of concerns...

In QLD anything higher than a 2" lift is illegal. So what do I do if the cops defect me?

Also what do I do for insurance? I've also been reading that no-one will insure me if the car has a lift kit on it. Is this true? Seems hard to believe.
Old 11-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
Ok about to order, just a couple of concerns...

In QLD anything higher than a 2" lift is illegal. So what do I do if the cops defect me?

Also what do I do for insurance? I've also been reading that no-one will insure me if the car has a lift kit on it. Is this true? Seems hard to believe.
Ok, just spoke to AAMI and they said it's cool if I want to put a lift kit on - the vehicle is still covered - just may have to pay an extra premium to cover the extra value added to the car, which shouldn't be much.

Anyone in QLD been defected before? If so what happened after that? Obviously you wouldn't take your kit off, so how do you get around it?
Old 11-06-2010
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mate if you getdefected it's a real hassle. In most cases you will have to go back to legal lift height to get the defect removed then put your other lift back in....

I had a cop try to defect me when I was back home in qld over Chrissy but then he saw the act plates and just walked off..... Best way to find out is go to main roads and ask them very precise questions sothey have to look it up, not just mumble away some general rule/law.
Old 15-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Still waiting for Wooders to get the parts in to send my kit, but will hopefully be installing the front part of the car this weekend - I'll have to install the rear springs and bumpstops another time

Just a question RE tires... I've calculated that 33"s combined with my kit mean that the car will have a total of about 7" of lift - this seems very high! How much more dangerous would 7" of lift be considering the higher point of gravity? Wouldn't it be safer to put on, say, 32"s? Does anyone run this amount of lift and still feel that their Jeep is safe?
Old 16-06-2010
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
Just a question RE tires... I've calculated that 33"s combined with my kit mean that the car will have a total of about 7" of lift - this seems very high!
Slight maths error there mate.
29" Tyres (stock) to 33" is a change 4" diameter.....But of 2" in radius (lift)
ie 2+3.5 = 5.5" total lift.
Depending on the tyre width and rim offset you will also have a wider stance to help offset this.
But like anything the most dangerous component is behind the steering wheel
Old 20-06-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OMG - I'm shattered!!! Well I didn't get the entire lift kit fitted, but I got the majority done. Me and a mate worked on it today and got the majority of the front end done (lower control arms, shocks, springs, brake lines, bump stops, panhard) with only the quick releases to go along with alignment and bleeding the brakes.

On the rear I completed the lower and upper adjustable control arms, the track bar relocation kit, sway bar end links and the springs.

All that's remaining now is the slip yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft, shock relocation brackets and installing the shocks. I'll put some photos up of the install tomorrow when (hopefully) I finish the install. It's amazing just how high 3.5" really is - it's somewhat daunting looking at the Jeep now!! Not having second thoughts, but it does look like I've compromised the stability - and I don't even have the tires on now. It's definitely made me decide to put 32's on rather than 33's. 33" would be too high. I think having the old 29's on makes the car look very top heavy so just having the bigger tires on will add to the stability.

Does anyone know a good way of adjusting the front panhard? I can roughly do it, but a measured result would be better.

Thanks so much for your help guys, my truck is looking awesome!! I've just got to tame the beast now
Old 21-06-2010
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The difference between 32's and 33's won't be that noticable mate. I'd just go the 33's to fill out the guards as much as possible.
Post New Thread  Reply