Adding a Commander to the Garage: A Couple of Questions... - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken View Post
Bit confused by the whole anniversary thing, JRJ339 has a 2006 65th Anniversary but mine is 2008 and has anniversary badges on the guards - just says anniversary edition so must be 67th anniversary !!
Either way it has everything as has been previously mentioned except the GPS which, as also previously mentioned is apparently no loss. I run an after market 7" GPS (ebay from China) that I also have oziexporer maps loaded on and can switch between the 2 - works a treat.
Oh and I don't have embossing on the seats
GDE tune, snorkel and lift all from Murchison plus some extras I bought from Wanderer.
265/65/17 BFG AT's on the original rims - similar logic to 08crd - they had some very minor rubbing at full lock but not hearing that since last service - maybe they adjusted the lock stops a smidge and didn't tell me.
3rd row of seats removed for a bit of extra space but nothing else done back there yet.
These really are a lot of 4WD for the money.
When you get yours be sure to come over East and we'll go for a drive.........

Cheers
Thanks mate, again very valuable information! I agree that they are a lot of 4WD for the money - size, comfort, features, QDII, power, economy - I can't see anything else that comes close in that price range. You'd be lucky to get a diesel Japanese 4WD with 250,000kms and a poverty pack for the same money!

I would love to take the new one for a spin back on the East Coast, however I'd be on my own as the wife has no interest in doing the Nullabor! Might have to wait until we move back home, whenever that is..... opportunities are still much better over here at the moment in my line of work. We do have a new State Government in Vic now though.... see what happens eh?
Old 09-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08crd View Post
I removed the 3r row of seats and made an angle iron frame, that bolts into the existing mounts. The frame is mounted on standoffs to make the back area flat with the loading lip and has a battery and fridge slide on the left side.

Works an absolute treat.
Sounds good crd08! Got any photos to share with us by any chance?
Old 09-12-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken View Post
Bit confused by the whole anniversary thing, JRJ339 has a 2006 65th Anniversary but mine is 2008 and has anniversary badges on the guards - just says anniversary edition so must be 67th anniversary !!
Either way it has everything as has been previously mentioned except the GPS which, as also previously mentioned is apparently no loss. I run an after market 7" GPS (ebay from China) that I also have oziexporer maps loaded on and can switch between the 2 - works a treat.
Oh and I don't have embossing on the seats
GDE tune, snorkel and lift all from Murchison plus some extras I bought from Wanderer.
265/65/17 BFG AT's on the original rims - similar logic to 08crd - they had some very minor rubbing at full lock but not hearing that since last service - maybe they adjusted the lock stops a smidge and didn't tell me.
3rd row of seats removed for a bit of extra space but nothing else done back there yet.
These really are a lot of 4WD for the money.
When you get yours be sure to come over East and we'll go for a drive.........

Cheers
We also have a 2007 KJ Cherokee that will eventually be my sisters car, that we have spent some time and money on modifying, and thats an "Anniversary Edition". I think its just a badge, the only extra that the KJ has is leather seats, other then that nothing. Seats are manual and theres no chrome trimming which means its just a base model with some extras and a badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Thanks mate - all very valuable information! I'm having a look at 2 this Thursday before I head overseas for a holiday - a 2006 65th Anniversary Edition (your twin) with 124,000kms and a 2006 black Limited with 115,000kms. The Limited is only $1,000 more, but the 65th AE owner has said he's negotiable. There is also a 2006 65th AE in black with 127,000kms for $3,000 more than the Limited - from a dealer and comes with a warranty.

I guess I'll just test all 3 and see which one is the best deal at the time.
If you can get the Limited for around the same price as the 65th Anniv, go for it. Might as well have the comfort of leather seats and all the other fruity bits. In saying that, nothing wrong with a 65th Anniversary!!

Old 09-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ33P View Post
We also have a 2007 KJ Cherokee that will eventually be my sisters car, that we have spent some time and money on modifying, and thats an "Anniversary Edition". I think its just a badge, the only extra that the KJ has is leather seats, other then that nothing. Seats are manual and theres no chrome trimming which means its just a base model with some extras and a badge.

If you can get the Limited for around the same price as the 65th Anniv, go for it. Might as well have the comfort of leather seats and all the other fruity bits. In saying that, nothing wrong with a 65th Anniversary!!
Yeah, I agree and my wife does too! I spoke to the Limited owner today and the car is a leftover from a divorce, so may be room to budge on price. We'll see. The only thing I am disappointed about is that it doesn't have the sunroof pack.... I thought that would have come standard with the Limited, but obviously not. Oh well, you can't have it all I suppose?

Funny thing is we also have a 2007 KJ Cherokee in the family (my wife's). Please don't tell me your Sister's is inferno red and that you also have a black WJ Grand in your family!
Old 11-12-2014
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just make sure you check for wear where the drive shafts attach to the transfer case on any xh you're looking at. This is where ours broke out in the desert and caused the jeep to catch on fire. They're a nice car though.
Old 11-12-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Grimes View Post
Those tyres you're looking to fit will probably require some trimming of the rear inner guard and folding of the pinch weld to fit.
265/65/17 won't require any trimming of the inner front guard or if the car has a OME 2" lift. I run Jeepin By Al upper control arms which give you heap more clearance from the bolt. If you cut this off you'll have trouble changing or removing the ball joint latter on.
Better still just run Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour 245/75/17 ATR's from this forum for $100 each as new. Great tyres and far far better than Coopers and the same diameter as 265/65/17 . My serious muddies are 265/65/17

You don't need to change diff ratios the CRD has far too much power, it's awesome especially if you have a GDE chip upgrade. You'll blow any Patrol or Landcrusier away.

I've been running this set up for more than 4 years now with no issues.
Here's a video of my car going up one of the steepest hill climbs in the Qld 4WD parks. No problem with power or wheels rubbing.

or this one:

or this one:

or this one:

Last edited by multihull; 11-12-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihull View Post
265/65/17 won't require any trimming of the inner front guard or if the car has a OME 2" lift. I run Jeepin By Al upper control arms which give you heap more clearance from the bolt. If you cut this off you'll have trouble changing or removing the ball joint latter on.
Better still just run Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour 245/75/17 ATR's from this forum for $100 each as new. Great tyres and far far better than Coopers and the same diameter as 265/65/17 . My serious muddies are 265/65/17

You don't need to change diff ratios the CRD has far too much power, it's awesome especially if you have a GDE chip upgrade. You'll blow any Patrol or Landcrusier away.

I've been running this set up for more than 4 years now with no issues.
Here's a video of my car going up one of the steepest hill climbs in the Qld 4WD parks. No problem with power or wheels rubbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lECFivG8rg

or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPD078ZrCEk

or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5G0...=TLI9ygGXLJoi8

or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFH...=TLI9ygGXLJoi8
Thanks Multihill, lots of sound advice once again that will come in handy.

You don't need to post videos of your beast offroad as I've already watched them all about 30 times!!

Between yours and JRJ33p's Commanders I have already got the wishlist covered....

Now to make it a reality. I will post videos when I have some proof!