Dobinsons Lift Kit - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihull View Post
Which company manufactures Old Man Emu shocks and struts?

I believe Munroe are the manufacture of CRD Stu's front struts. I have run them for about 3 years and I've had no issues.
Stu has stated previously on this forum that his shocks and struts are OME units that have been re-valved and use a different oil viscosity to suit. The springs he uses are custom King Springs.

I have no idea who manufactures the OME shocks and struts. It could be Monroe? I might ask the local ARB to see if they can tell me.
Old 02-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
My lift didn't have Dobinsons shocks. It had Bilsteins...
Yeah, I knew that Bomber. I was talking about the full Dobinsons kit.

If I was to buy the Dobinsons springs and Bilstein struts separately it would probably cost more than Stu's lift. Plus, I have not read the greatest feedback on Bilsteins when used on Commanders and WH's. Too stiff with a tendency to leak after exposure to dirt/sand/mud is what I understand from those who have used them. Also Stu has mentioned previously that the spring perch is in the wrong location on the front struts with no metal bump stop on the top of the strut. Too many variables for me to feel confident in taking the punt on them I'm afraid.
Old 02-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausromeo View Post
1. Yes I think crdstu still uses the top spacer plate to add lift while maintaining a nice ride. It is my understanding that if they were to use a heavier spring rate to 'level' the front it would cause a stiffer ride.

2. Yep I'm thinking I may have got some Friday arvo springs. The OME's pictured look far better and more even then mine. Flat on one end and uneven at the other is correct as the bottom of the strut (where the spring seats) isnt flat. Have a look next time your under the commander. It sort of steps up. Which the uneven end of the spring caters for.

3. Sounds like you will be wanting a longer shock than the dobinson.

265 70 17 is a big tyre. By all means it can be done with spacers, pinch weld mod etc, I'm sure your aware of all that. They will look awesome. I recently went with 245 75 17 good year wranglers off a late model Jeep Wrangler and love them. No modifications other than my lift and they fit perfect with no rubbing anywhere. Look great and are reasonably quiet.

PS Quadra drive 2 is an awesome system. Amazes me every time.
Thanks mate - agree with all the above, just need to make a decision now!!

Yeah, I know what's required to fit a 265/70 R17 to the Commander. Not going to do it immediately though, so no big deal. I have actually already bought a set of 5 almost new GY Wrangler Silent Armors in 245/75 R17 off a 2014 JK Wrangler. Haven't fitted them yet as I wanted to lift it first in case they rub. I also bought another set of 4 which are pretty worn, but thought I would keep for spares. They were only $100, so why not eh?

I was thinking I would probably get a set of 265/70 muddies and run as a second set or to replace the Silent Armors when they wear out. I'll wait and see how the Silent Armors go first though.

Got any photos of your Commander to share with us? What is the hub to fender measurements all round out of curiosity?
Old 02-06-2015
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Stu has stated previously on this forum that his shocks and struts are OME units that have been re-valved and use a different oil viscosity to suit. The springs he uses are custom King Springs.

I have no idea who manufactures the OME shocks and struts. It could be Monroe? I might ask the local ARB to see if they can tell me.
Check with Stu, I was told he was now using Bilstein!
Old 02-06-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

I love Bilsteins from my off road racing days and they are a great product but cost a fortune to rebuild. I removed my front Bilsteins because on two occasions they start to leak because the top shaft seal picked up grains of dirt and eventually they started to leak. I changed to Stu's front struts latter on and they were made by Munroe and have a different top seal which has not failed yet.
What was the ride like between the two types of struts. Both types are excellent, firm and comfortable and there's no bloody different in the ride between the two despite what each supplier says. Only a computer could pick the difference in the compression and recoil rate. I've raced a lot of cars over the years and the BIG lumbering Commander will not show the differences. Both are good.
Old 03-06-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Default Old thread with lift heights

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ht=lift+height

check out this old thread on post 26 & 27 for comparable lift heights.
Old 03-06-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Thanks Multihull!

My (stock height) Commander currently measures:

FL: 475mm
FR: 465mm

RL: 500mm
RR: 500mm

This compares to your lifted measurements of:

Quote:
I have a 2" OME lift at the front and 2.5" OME at the rear with Bilstien shocks/struts. This was fitted about 21 months ago. My front lower control arm has very worn bushes that the struts mount to so I lose about 8mm of height here.

Front = 512
Rear = 542

I look forward to your measurements!
and

Quote:
After my front spring upgrade to Murchinson coils and strut spacers I now have:

front = 540mm
rear = 545mm
ground clearance to sump = 310mm
ground clearance to transmission cross member = 335mm

The car now has a very nice level stants
Given that you also added strut spacers (anti top-out plates) when you installed the Murchison coils and struts in the front, the height difference between the OME and Murchison lift kits doesn't look like much, maybe only 5-10mm at the most. Certainly not a full 1/2"-1" higher anyway.

If I go with the OME kit I will just make sure I install the strut spacers as well. If I can get 45-50mm in the rear and 55-60mm in the front I would be pretty happy!

Also interesting to see from that thread that my stock suspension certainly hasn't sagged as badly as some of those guys'. I reckon mine would struggle to drive over a kerb at 445mm in the front! That's 20-30mm lower than mine.