URGENT! WH Transfer Case - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,962 Times in 2,335 Posts

Very good pmac, I thought they must have been similar as the label on the Jeep TC oil bottle said good for NV 245/247/249.

So we need someone with a Company WH to put the Mobil in it to see if it works and save us all heaps of money...........or maybe not. lol

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 23-01-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good point about the Jeep bottle saying OK for both 245 and 247. That would be confusing.

Maybe though the Mopar oil is better, so it's not a problem putting a better quality oil in a TC that doesn't need such a high quality oil, but it could be a problem the other way.
Old 23-01-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The jeep dealer in Auckland NZ want NZ $60 a litre for Transfer case oil NV 245/247/249 part number 05016796AC. This is an absolute rip off. The same stuff in the US sells for about US $10

There has got to be an alternative as Mopar dont make oil, it has to be something rebadged
Old 23-01-2012
MudSplasher

Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Very interesting info you provided there pmac.

Drover, good to remember and point out that the same oil is used across those transfer cases.

From all the above, if I had known about the Mobil 424 oil, I would've used it. If it's good for a 247, it should be good for a 245 also. $8 a litre is way better than $47 a quart and if Jeep service centres in South America and South Australia use it (how do they know, eh????), I'll feel comfortable using it also. I have a funny feeling that the Mopar oil is the same (relabelled) as the Mobil 424 just like the Mopar (5W-20) engine oil.

It would be good to compare the liquids in terms of colour, thickness and smell. If no one does it, I'll check the next time I do the transfer case.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 23-01-2012
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteway View Post
From all the above, if I had known about the Mobil 424 oil, I would've used it.
Funny hey - I'm the opposite. From all the research we have all do on here about this subject, it makes me steer away from anything other than the Mopar, or what can be proven as the oil Mopar uses (rebadged).

Remember, what Drover is talking about regarding South American and South Australian dealers is hydraulic WJ T/C's I expect, not electronic WH's.

This is from the Mobil site:
Mobilfluid 424 is an extra high performance multipurpose tractor lubricant engineered to meet or exceed transmission and hydraulic fluid requirements.

Note the word "hydraulic". And also "Tractor".

It also says "lubricant performance properties required in severe duty applications of agricultural and construction equipment drive trains" and "performance capabilities of heavy-duty equipment in terms of load..."

To me - my Jeep is fine piece of performance machinery. It's not a piece of heavy duty agricultural equipment needing heavy duty oils.

$100 is nothing to have piece of mind. I spend $100 a week just filling the tank up. I wish I could change that to $8 a week!!!

Last edited by pmac; 23-01-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 23-01-2012
MudSplasher

Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
$100 is nothing to have piece of mind. I spend $100 a week just filling the tank up. I wish I could change that to $8 a week!!!
Yeah, you're right (but I'm trying to save). I fork out around $240 a week on fuel and also wish I could change it to $8. LOL.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 23-01-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

This is excellent info from everyone on the transfer cases and how they work but I can't find any specification on the Mopar T/C fluid. Is it synthetic or is it mineral based, what's it's viscosity etc. etc?
If we knew this info we could make a more informed decision if we should give this Mobil 424 fluid a try.
In the mean while I will begrudgingly stick with Mopar T/C fluid.