Chrysler recalls 2006 to 2010 Commanders - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-10-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoea26 View Post
I thought about starting a new thread for this but it relates to the Safety recall N23. I had the recall performed on my 2007 WH a few weeks ago, the flash was performed but the vehicle would not engage 4wd low. The techs at the dealership contacted Chrysler Aust and were provided with instructions to perform some testing which determined that the Transfer Case Actuator had failed and would need replacing. There were no actuators in Aust and it would take 3 weeks to get here, the cost to replace including the part was $900 + for the actuator and $90 for labour.

I told the dealer I would source the part from USA but was advised that it could be a different part as mine was an export vehicle. However, I have established that it is the same transfer case and part number in both the USA and export vehicle, a new actuator is half the price from USA.

During my googling I found that the recall notice in USA reads Recall N-23-13: Transfer Case Actuator ! The Australian one reads Safety Recall N23 Software Update and they say it's to do with the Final Drive Controller Module...interesting.

The USA recall notice reads in part " The transfer case actuator on your vehicle may experience a transfer case actuator encoder electrical failure that results in unintentional transfer case shifting into the neutral position"

It is also stated that Chrysler will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to reprogram the Final Drive Controller Module with new software, the four wheel drive system will then be function tested. Vehicles found with an inoperative transfer case actuator will also have the actuator replaced!

This is not mentioned in the Australian recall.

So I intend to take this up with Chrysler Australia, I have also sent an email to the Customer Care, Chrysler Group LLC.

I'd like to ascertain how many on this forum have found their vehicles actuator has failed. If you could PM me or place it on the forum that would be great.

Thanks,

Roscoe
I thought this might interest multihull
Old 23-10-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Thanks Clarky for the heads up.
Old 23-10-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sold.....She's gone so no need for the recall....Pick my WK2 CRD up in a few days...Don't trade in, you're better off just giving it to the Salvos for a needy family if you do..Jeep sold them but don't really want them back....Excluding my snorkel and LRA tank, all accessories plus custom made tyre carrier and rock rail/sliders are for sale....Full list on my web site..
Old 12-11-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihull View Post
I had my transfer case recall done Thursday week ago and now I'm having issues with a warning on the Dash. "Service 4WD system" I've checked my diff and transfer oils and all is OK. I notice today that i can here the transfer case motor shifting when I start to drive forward and I can feel the car do a strange hop as I turn out of my drive. I thought this was the ABS wheel speed sensors but found these all to be OK and it's actually the transfer case trying to lock. Similar to when you go to low range. And the engine is not shifting gears until a far higher rev range. Like its in low range.
I have now check out the feed back on the USA jeepcommander.com forum and there's a hole heap of issues this recall has caused.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...er+case+recall
Don't get the recall done unless your ready for the problems.

I'm phoning them tomorrow and asking if they can remove the recall flash to my transfer case. If they don't it's off to court. I'm pissed off!
Last week the saga was still continuing, I still had the TC problem. Now I must say my Jeep Dealer has been very good and kept me in the loop and was following up with Jeep Australia (JA) however these matters do take time when dealing with a major car manufacturer but JA came back and told the dealership they would fix the problem by replacing the TC Actuator (the electric shifter motor) at their cost. As we know through these forum threads there's no TC Actuators in Australia and a short supply in the USA. I just couldn't wait any longer so against what my Dealer told me,"don't go changing the part or do any work yourself because you could jeopardize any claim through JA. I couldn't wait any longer and I had to get the car fixed because I had a major 4x4 weekend coming up and then a big driving holiday at Xmas. When I first had my car analysed by the Dealer I asked for a copy of the error code print out . Now I went back and studied this and there were about 10 error codes 4 of which related to ABS issues and one stating front R/H wheel speed senor issues. So one night last week I swapped the front R/H wheel speed sensor for a spare one left over from a wheel bearing replacement. 1/2 an hour later the car was back on the ground and driving down my long driveway and then "BING" all warning lights went off and all was fine. No more funny noises from the transfer case shifting into low or strange wheel hops etc.
I've cleared the error codes and all seems fine so I've ordered 2 new wheel speed senors to fit next week and a thanks to Lee Willson at Albion Jeep for all the follow ups and keeping me in the loop. He also offered to still replace the part but I declined as all is well in my Commander Land.
Ah the good old back yard mechanic has a big win.
Old 13-11-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihull View Post
Last week the saga was still continuing, I still had the TC problem. Now I must say my Jeep Dealer has been very good and kept me in the loop and was following up with Jeep Australia (JA) however these matters do take time when dealing with a major car manufacturer but JA came back and told the dealership they would fix the problem by replacing the TC Actuator (the electric shifter motor) at their cost. As we know through these forum threads there's no TC Actuators in Australia and a short supply in the USA. I just couldn't wait any longer so against what my Dealer told me,"don't go changing the part or do any work yourself because you could jeopardize any claim through JA. I couldn't wait any longer and I had to get the car fixed because I had a major 4x4 weekend coming up and then a big driving holiday at Xmas. When I first had my car analysed by the Dealer I asked for a copy of the error code print out . Now I went back and studied this and there were about 10 error codes 4 of which related to ABS issues and one stating front R/H wheel speed senor issues. So one night last week I swapped the front R/H wheel speed sensor for a spare one left over from a wheel bearing replacement. 1/2 an hour later the car was back on the ground and driving down my long driveway and then "BING" all warning lights went off and all was fine. No more funny noises from the transfer case shifting into low or strange wheel hops etc.
I've cleared the error codes and all seems fine so I've ordered 2 new wheel speed senors to fit next week and a thanks to Lee Willson at Albion Jeep for all the follow ups and keeping me in the loop. He also offered to still replace the part but I declined as all is well in my Commander Land.
Ah the good old back yard mechanic has a big win.
Aaaah!!!!! So much for computer diagnostics and the mordern AutoTech...We're getting like .."If it's not in the trouble shooting chart or on the computer then we're stuffed"

I had a similaar experience with my 2000 WG Grand...Transfer case fluid leak after a Simpson trek.. 6 weeks later at the dealer after having it ripped out and all the seals replaced...guess what?? The same leak!!!!!...I had a look with an inspection mirror and at the top was a rubber plug..Wriggled it and man it was lose...75cents later fluid leak was fixed so much for the professionals.

Last edited by Wanderer; 13-11-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2014
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default N23 Recall problems

This problem still dragging on. I bought a 2009 CRD Commander a few months ago not knowing about the problems associated with the recall. I quickly found that I had no low range 4x4 and took it back to the dealer who obviously did the quick and dirty flash correction. I didn't need low range until away recently faced with a deep gully and found that the problem had returned. That's when I found out how widespread the problem is. On a U.S. site I read that there was a 'new' procedure for fixing the problem, i.e., the procedure must be done three times without a break. I took the Jeep back to the dealer today and talked to them about it and they were quite open about the fact that the problem was caused by the N23 recall, whilst all the US sites say that Jeep deny that. Anyway, they have 'hopefully' fixed the problem. The service sheet reads, 'Confirmed fault . Connected WiTech and checked for DTC's found code FOCM - C140F active - Transfer Case range position sensor erratic performance. Cleared DTC's as per clearing procedure for this fault - 3 times in FOCM module, checked operation of 4x4 low, now working correctly. Please monitor and report". No charge and washed and vacuumed car!
Old 08-05-2014
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If you haven't already found it.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=128329
I think the procedure you refer to is Star Case Number: S1321000016 see post 141 in the above link.
There is a few tricks you can use to get low range back listed in the same link if you find yourself stuck.