So you want a Long Armed WJ- Its Hard! - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2008
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemijeepy View Post
Not $$ burning a hole but i dont wanna do a half assed job of it... Just like the 1st time i lifted it i wasted my money.. will not make same mistake.

Reality is if i acn get 34's under it im going to want to..... ( again this is not a DD)

So with a locked D30 and 34's prob gonna breaky breaky......
Mate - there are plenty of TJ's running D30 front, with 35's (mine included).

I run the ARB locker in the front, and i don't have any hassles.

Obviously - you have to drive to accomodate what you have under your rig. If i had D60 front and rear, i could thrash the tits off it with no worries. I don't - so i dont thrash it.

I have seen you offroad - pretty calm headed, no heavy right foot - i think the 30 will be fine.

Like OIIIIIIIO said - it should be fine.

I would stay with the 30, then save up cash to do it properly, should it go pear shaped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donza View Post
"If ya want more inches.... stroke it"
Old 11-07-2008
SwampDigger

Liked 143 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Mate - there are plenty of TJ's running D30 front, with 35's (mine included).

I run the ARB locker in the front, and i don't have any hassles.

Obviously - you have to drive to accomodate what you have under your rig. If i had D60 front and rear, i could thrash the tits off it with no worries. I don't - so i dont thrash it.

I have seen you offroad - pretty calm headed, no heavy right foot - i think the 30 will be fine.

Like OIIIIIIIO said - it should be fine.

I would stay with the 30, then save up cash to do it properly, should it go pear shaped.

Im in that boat!

www.ironrockoffroad.com
Old 18-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

cpage hows yours going.... any feed back to add??
Old 21-07-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
I mean get the u-joint style. I got the Tom Woods conversion from ironrock-came with everything including crush sleeve for pinion and it has 3 u-joints.
I reckon he is better taking it one step further and getting a dual double cardon jointed shaft (ie 2x unis at each end = 4 uni joints all up). I know Tom Woods does them and they aren't that much more.
Old 22-07-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea Ironrock charge about $180 extra I think to get it at both ends but I dont think its necessay if you set up the pinion angle properly and the long arms make this easier.

Last edited by burnz; 22-07-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 22-07-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

My opion is go for it. I just lifted my ZJ 5.5'' with short arms on 33x10R15s ,changed rear diff to 44 and put 231 t/case in it. Still tryin to get front diff to sit right but does look bloody good. It's only money your gonna spend anyway.Do it right the first time i've learnt. Would love to run long arms on mine but the law would not like it up here, abit obvious.
Old 22-07-2008
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
My opion is go for it. I just lifted my ZJ 5.5'' with short arms on 33x10R15s ,changed rear diff to 44 and put 231 t/case in it. Still tryin to get front diff to sit right but does look bloody good. It's only money your gonna spend anyway.Do it right the first time i've learnt. Would love to run long arms on mine but the law would not like it up here, abit obvious.
Short arms........ Far out..... That must be so bumpy...... Gzzzz!

Well i am gonna go for it, its just making sure i do it properly with out spending $$ that will go to waste....

My plan so far is this....

Clayton Barebones kit
4.5' springs ( prob IRO ) and shocks to suit
Leave the diff's in untill they Pop!! Prob lock the Front 1st or get a mate in the US&A's to send me an OX rear.....