CRD Manual Issues... who's had them? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have done over 60,000 on mine seems good so far, I changed to 4.11s and I think that should make a big difference even when running 35's.
Old 29-09-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post
Mine is a 2008 Man CRD with 60 000 km, no clutch issues and no gearbox issues. Driven reasonably with a power module fitted. She's getting a set of 4.1s for Christmas though.

The last Jeep Action had the figure of JKs sold (no breakdown of models or configuration) at just under 10 000. So the smattering you get on here doesn't to my mind represent that the general populace has a significant issue with the manual CRD driveline. Remember people who come onto a site like this are from 1 of 2 camps. Enthusiast or seeking the answer to a problem. As a result you will see model specific failures over represented here.
My point exactly. Alot of time forums are populated with people looking for answers after doing a google search. I'm sure there are many many people out there with no issues & no reason to access the forum, therefore we dont know about there "no issue" experiences.

Im wondering also if there is a trend in years/production runs that are having more issues than others?

It amazes me how someone with as little as 22,000km can have issues at the same time as someone with 70,000km?

I know i dont drive mine in 6th gear anymore unless i'm doing 120km/h because you can feel the gearing struggle with the 3.21's & 33's fitted. Could be a factor? I'm sure there are a lot running above the factory tyres probably favour 5th gear like i do if running 3.21's. Maybe those who favour 6th gear for economy are doing more damage than they think..... Endless possibility's.

I too think the newer models are undergeared. I'll be putting 4.56's in after xmas & wont feel like taking off pulling a bus behind me anymore. Witha bit of luck there will be less hard work being done down low & much more power through tthe gears & no need to look at a power chip.

Keep the posts coming... Could be a very good thread for new buyers being scared off of buying manuals. I know myself being new to Jeeps got shivers after reading all the bad feedback AFTER i picked my Jeep up. Now i'm not so worry'd.

Anvil Rubi :) 35" Evan Walkers, LOD bar, Warn Powerplant & lots to come
Old 29-09-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally i believe it is primarily people repeating what they have heard on Forums (like this one).... i cant say i have actually heard of a gearbox (not clutch) failing in a JK. And auto's are boring as shit..... ive neer had a problem with mine and i dont anticipate one.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=120811
Old 29-09-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaTuff-CRD View Post
I know i dont drive mine in 6th gear anymore unless i'm doing 120km/h because you can feel the gearing struggle with the 3.21's & 33's fitted.
You have hit the nail on the head there!! Sooooo many people cannot "feel" how the car is behaving (labouring etc) and simply dont understand that perhaps 6th isnt the best gear to be in......

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=120811
Old 29-09-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I know!! I tell my miss's off for driving around town in her holden cruze in 5th gear doing 60km'h. she cant feel it labouring just puts the foot down to keep it going.

The Jeeps are much worse, even on stock tyres. They labour which is doing the clutch damage & using WAY more fuel just to try & keep the speed up.

Anvil Rubi :) 35" Evan Walkers, LOD bar, Warn Powerplant & lots to come
Old 29-09-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

60,000km on my JKU and not an issue + i frequently tow a 2.5 tonne boat. I honestly think it has alot to do with simply driving the box sensibly and within it's limits.

However having said that I just put 33's on for the first time today, so I'm a little apprehensive how it will go with 33's, stock gearing and towing a big lump of fiberglass!! Fingers crossed!!

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love some lower gearing though! Roughly what does a re-gear cost?
Old 29-09-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 75 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NUT View Post
Roughly what does a re-gear cost?
you want to allow $2K to cover gear sets, and any maintenence items such as bearings seals, labour etc...Half the price of a Jeep clutch replacement though!

I'm still running on the stock 3.21 but when I bought it second hand it had F&R air lockers. So for me to change ratios now, I have to also fund a new front locker as the front locker model only goes as far as 3.73's not anything higher. The rear is OK for higher ratios.
4.56's are becoming hard to find, so a move to 4.8's might be the go, then I'll use 6th gear again - not before then!

Last edited by TheoB; 29-09-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply