XJ diesel oil leak - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-01-2014

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default XJ diesel oil leak

Who's your seal supplier DW? If you don't mind me asking.. Do they ship to Aus? Or even to the UK? I checked with a friend in the UK, UK dealers are similar prices, not worth shipping etc. VM engine guy on Ebay.UK is not good either, had past dealing with him when I was looking for parts for a Diesel KJ a few years ago back in the UK... I also know of a Polish VM parts supplier, who ships to AUS, and am waiting for an email reply, and Found an Engine builder/ engineer close by in Sydney, I'll see if he can help, Tuesday...
Old 26-01-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I'm in the military, having my own maintenance engineer account I buy directly from the factories via the contract dealer.
This explains why I have maybe a bit more access to data than the average.

Nope, they do not ship. They even do not sell to public.

I know, that does not help you. If in a pinch drop a note and I will find out s&h.

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 26-01-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 26-01-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
You don't believe it?
Here you go:

Your research was maybe not be very intensive...
DW,
The seal I got had 2 lips plus the dust excluder.
I could have got one for $15 but it would not have been viton.
Same goes for Orings. The big one for the flange is about $3 in normal material, ~$15 in viton. It gets a bit hotter down here & so viton is better. We find that with most engine/trans seals.

Interestingly our military purchases most things by tender, lowest meeting spec gets the biz. I saw at an army goods depot, bearings having their seals removed, de-greased & then re-greased & resealed as the grease was not good enough.
Old 26-01-2014
Full Flexer

Yeah, saw that.
Australians were always busy in the pit.Their trucks were always leaking.

German Airforce does not do that. It goes straight back to the factory if it does not meet the specs.

Wouldn't buy anything else than FPM, FKM,= Viton is just the brand name from Du Pont...
Perbunan is also a high quality material.

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 26-01-2014 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 26-01-2014
Full Flexer

OFF Topic:

@Layback, I'm just wondering a bit.

You sit there in a big and beautiful country. Luckily it isn't populated that much.

Problem is- and there is no bashing about it: The less customers the lesser the availability of parts.
Alone in my hometown (I have to admit 600.000 inhabitants) I have the choice of 6 Bosch service places, 4 or 5 huge automotive part shops. We are not talking about the little shops here- these are main distributors. With 2000 to 4000 square meters of storage in different levels!
If I order at lunch it will be there at two o'clock.

Don't get me wrong here!
But just for this crazy seal I can choose between 4 or 5 different brands. All automotive. Ok, some of them have some delivery time. but you get hopefully the idea.

Chrysler does not want you to buy this at the aftermarket- it is locked for some reasons. Easy to understand if you can charge ten times more from the customer. A rip off.

Same goes for all other parts.
I'm pretty sure it'll be the same with all other parts.

Except when it comes to ARB. I do buy my parts in the US for a fraction of the costs. Because I'm not going to pay the general distributor in germany the next vaccation in Australia.

What I'm trying to tell you is, that the availability due to the consumption (and of course the industrial background) is a lot higher.

I know some guys asking from the UK for parts- because it is not given there or again to make a lot of money.

Ebay? That's a problem for me.
Mostly the quality is very poor. Faked parts from China. It is funny to see the Bosch boxes made of carton made in China.
Don't get me wrong here too. I know that electrical motors being used in winches (Warn, Milemarker and so on) are made by Bosch in China.
Does this tell you something too?

If a seller is darkening somehow the oe numbers- It should tell you something. Because the parts may not be according of the ISO standard.

We have a couple of american automotive part shops here.
It's not worth to go there. You will find a lot of parts made in south eastern- even if they are cheap.

What is a U-joint worth if you have to replace it after two weeks. Even if they hand it to you for free?

Hopefully you get the idea that I'm not here for competition. There are simply more choices over here. Good for me, sad for you and all the others.
I'm sorry for that.
At least your country is wonderful. I would trade for that.

And you still drive on the wrong side!

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 26-01-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 27-01-2014
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
OFF Topic:

@Layback, I'm just wondering a bit.

You sit there in a big and beautiful country. Luckily it isn't populated that much.

Problem is- and there is no bashing about it: The less customers the lesser the availability of parts.
Alone in my hometown (I have to admit 600.000 inhabitants) I have the choice of 6 Bosch service places, 4 or 5 huge automotive part shops. We are not talking about the little shops here- these are main distributors. With 2000 to 4000 square meters of storage in different levels!
If I order at lunch it will be there at two o'clock.

Don't get me wrong here!
But just for this crazy seal I can choose between 4 or 5 different brands. All automotive. Ok, some of them have some delivery time. but you get hopefully the idea.

Chrysler does not want you to buy this at the aftermarket- it is locked for some reasons. Easy to understand if you can charge ten times more from the customer. A rip off.

Same goes for all other parts.
I'm pretty sure it'll be the same with all other parts.

Except when it comes to ARB. I do buy my parts in the US for a fraction of the costs. Because I'm not going to pay the general distributor in germany the next vaccation in Australia.

What I'm trying to tell you is, that the availability due to the consumption (and of course the industrial background) is a lot higher.

I know some guys asking from the UK for parts- because it is not given there or again to make a lot of money.

Ebay? That's a problem for me.
Mostly the quality is very poor. Faked parts from China. It is funny to see the Bosch boxes made of carton made in China.
Don't get me wrong here too. I know that electrical motors being used in winches (Warn, Milemarker and so on) are made by Bosch in China.
Does this tell you something too?

If a seller is darkening somehow the oe numbers- It should tell you something. Because the parts may not be according of the ISO standard.

We have a couple of american automotive part shops here.
It's not worth to go there. You will find a lot of parts made in south eastern- even if they are cheap.

What is a U-joint worth if you have to replace it after two weeks. Even if they hand it to you for free?

Hopefully you get the idea that I'm not here for competition. There are simply more choices over here. Good for me, sad for you and all the others.
I'm sorry for that.
At least your country is wonderful. I would trade for that.

And you still drive on the wrong side!
DW,
I avoid purchase from automotive supply places. The mark up is way too much.
When I see my local jeep service manager trying not to be recognized getting parts from the industrial supply places I use, its clear they are the best value, though he buys on price mainly ~ Chinese junk. All you need is a few big manufacturing sites in your region & there will be a couple of small places servicing them. They are only there because of service & the willingness to source quality parts.
With the internet, parts from all over the place are possible.
Its interesting, I have a good friend in the Netherlands, he has trouble obtaining some parts I can get over the counter. It appears that in the EU where you are has a major impact on things & its not the places population that counts.
Old 27-01-2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default XJ diesel oil leak

To be fair, to the best of my knowledge these seals are original, and have lasted almost 14 years and around 240'000km! I have pretty full service/ repair history from the previous owner, and can't see anything related, other than a clutch replacement in 2007, So I don't think OE quality is too big of an issue, and I would fit them if needed, shame about the cost. I'll let you know how I get on, DW, I may drop you a message if I get stuck.. Thanks. P.S, let's not forget, standard automotive parts are designed to fail, if they didn't the manufacturers would all go bust! I think a read that the designed life span of a vehicle is around 13 years (in the good old USofA?)
Post New Thread  Reply