What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views - Page 1452 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-02-2016
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
If you look closely, there is a cross which is supposed to be those coordinates in Chile. They must be off slightly

It was a pain to apply and the missus was helping by trying to unstick some of the decal with tweezers as I was taking off the backing.

She accidently removed part of the Aleutian islands. She said "Oh well no one will notice". I said "Tell that to the blokes off Deadiest Catch!".

Thankfully I only had to do one side as the snorkel is in the way.
Yeah, the cross in the decal was what caught my attention...the latitude looks good, but the longitude is more like 069 degrees West.
Comes with the territory, I'm afraid, I do aviation nav for a living.
Old 23-02-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
I checked the sunvisors......if you pull them down to the vertical before you swing them sideways, then its all good.
Try to swing them sideways while you pull them down and they hit the grab handles.
Not really an issue, the sunviser is still usable to the side window.
That's good to know. I've been holding off on buying a set myself because I've read they interfere with the visors. If it's only when swinging them sideways then that's not an issue.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 23-02-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Default Warn 9.5ti free spool clutch fix & service

I removed my AEV front bull bar on Sunday so I could get to my sexy Warn 9.5ti winch. The reason for this was the free spool clutch wouldn't disengage to free spool. I did a bit of YouTube research and it seemed simple enough to strip down the Warn gearbox (and it was). Once stripped I found there was a small amount of water inside the gearbox and the uncoated metal gears and body parts had slight surface rust and the free spool gear had very little grease and wouldn't slip into free spool position any longer. I cleaned all the shitty old grease off and wire brushed all parts to remove all signs of rust and then coated them all in marine grease and used a special winch grease for the high load geared areas. I put it back together then the BIG job of re installing the AEV Bull Bar.

I found that the water had entered the winch via the clutch lever which only has a single rubber seal, a very poor and basic design. Not what I expected from a so called top of the range VERY EXPENSIVE winch.

I now hope I'll have a number of trouble free years of use.

Last edited by multihull; 23-02-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 24-02-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

WARN and water ingress......check out the comments on 4x4Earth forum about this subject....you'd think if Runva can seal up a winch at that price point, why does WARN have issues?
Old 24-02-2016
AJOR Bronze

Wow, I'd be very disappointed paying that kind of money for a Warn to have it fill with water. The good thing is it sounds like you caught it early.

I bought myself a cheapy Chinese one years ago with the idea of buying a more expensive brand name later when I could afford it.

I've never had to replace it as it just keeps going. All I've done to it was to add more grease when I first bought it because they have a habit of under greasing them. It's been submerged more times than I can remember.

Old 24-02-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 116 Times in 94 Posts

I had a Warn 9.5xp on my TJ for 5 years, never parked it inside and it rains a lot in Auckland. Opened it up for service, not a hint of water ingress anywhere. Cleaned up as preventative maintenance, replaced the seals, off it goes again. Would happily get another Warn if I wanted another winch.
Old 24-02-2016
AJOR Bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
I had a Warn 9.5xp on my TJ for 5 years, never parked it inside and it rains a lot in Auckland. Opened it up for service, not a hint of water ingress anywhere. Cleaned up as preventative maintenance, replaced the seals, off it goes again. Would happily get another Warn if I wanted another winch.
I've spent a lot of time in NZ due to my old job. If you haven't got water in it over there, I'd happily buy a Warn

Post New Thread  Reply