XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 26 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
Impressive, I guess the "clutter" in the first picture is a swarm of grashoppers?
Nahhhh .... just the bottom of the creek bed as it dries out ....

Quote:
Oh my god, I do not act as the almighty offroad god I simply want to show different ways to avoid major problems.
Even the undercarriage does offer a lot of space for hidden coolers. They are used also in mil. trucks with a stone guard and do work.

Coolers can be hidden in sheet metal vented with those shark styled vents like those upper class vehicles( porsche did with great success in the Porsche 944 turbo.) Possibilities are endless. I want to attract your attention away from common procedures and to start thinking.
And thats what internet forums are all about IMHO ..... A whole bunch of ideas coming together to solve an issue "properly" ... and maybe even replace some "beliefs" ... with some facts ....

Ditto on different locations ...

Quite a few have them behind the crossmember under the radiator ... Good spot for it ... but not my preference because of diff deep, muddy road conditions/grass seeds ... compromising for conditions again - One gauze screen for all

Some of the JKers are now playing with rear underbody mounting locations with good results.

Thought about inside the XJ rear, RHS panel a while back ... still an option if I dont keep using it for junk storage - rad hoses & other spares.
Old 09-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

sadly, I havn't seen any good ideas around the world in the past two years dealing with it.
Old 09-06-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
I do realize that temperature is higher than in europe. But do have in mind that seasonal duration is not an issue.
America has a lot of high heat zones too. (eg.: Arizona, Texas, New Mexico...)
and I remember the heat of Phoenix, Arizona very well. 40° to 50° in the shadow...

I know about the heat transfer problems very well. been often in Otera Mesa, New Mexico, a military desert test ground. The funny thing is semis, watercooled or aircooled worked very well there.
That brings me to the conclusion(again) it must be an insufficient coolant system in Jeeps or other trucks. So it is a money related issue.

When do you need your aux lighting? daylight or night? Are the temperatures comparable or do you have a significantly drop during the night?
It is a fact that obstruction due to aux lightning is significantly high.
So if you need an aux lightning system it has to be designed as a quick release system. Quick(!) removable during daylight.

Do not try to tell me it is impossible.
It is the look and the style most people go for!
The try to impress with that rugged offroad aux lightning style.
( I do like it too, but it is simply not possible with the heat issues.)

I do also understand the need for bull bars. just watch tv,they are visible every in every australian road movie.

I do also know that as an example VW, carry alot of high heat solutions like bigger radiators, reinforced fans, lower operating temperature switches.( so called tropical reinforcement)
When I go through the chrysler replacement part catalog I don't find such items. That brings me to the thought- not necessary or no thoughts about them.
Obviously they know about the problems, because they mentioned the radiator obstruction in the factory manual again and again!

So a solution with quick release pins and a quick electric disconnect seems to be an solution- not taking longer than 30 seconds to install if needed.
I'm pretty sure, that not every distance is a long range distance drive.

Sump temperatures are always lower than internal or in the converter.
Just compare engine oil temps. As high as 400°C below the pistons and around 100°C in the sump- so expect much higher temperatures inside the tranny- while it is not an internal combustion engine.
Preventive maintenance does play an important role here. As an example:
The military does change certain fluids on a daily(!) basis after hard use. Did you have done something like that ever in the past?
When did you replace fluids before you hit an offroad event the last time? This does also belong to prepping.
An oil change before a long ride does not hurt- even if it is not due. But it expands heat carrier abilities and avoids heat stress and stress related failure. The small things do sum up!
another example: an agriculture truck has up to several hundred liter of tranny fluid to work relaible all day long.
Compare that with the small amount of tranny fluid in the Jeep and its heat carrier abilities.
Deez, don't for a minute think my comments were aimed at you personally it's just most of the world have no idea where we are let alone what conditions we drive in...

Of course not every drive is a long one but it is not rare either!!

I have twice had overheating issues in mine over that last almost 7 years, first time was offroad towing a trailer in the middle of "winter" (28c) and that was only due to the thermo fan (twins) fuse blowing after an over the bonnet river crossing and the other time was after a long day of low range work in summer.
I had on both occassion a pair of 170mm driving lights in front of the grille, but they have been there since I bought it so obviuosly they aren't an issue otherwise I would be having cooling issues all the time.
I should point out that my cooling system is all original since 1995 incl the radiator but it will need to changed soon due to a weep.....
Off topic I know but I now have to find a new location for my aux cooler due to a bullbar replacement (with larger lights!!!)

JJ

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 09-06-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
deez, don't for a minute think my comments were aimed at you personally it's just most of the world have no idea where we are let alone what conditions we drive in...

Of course not every drive is a long one but it is not rare either!!

I have twice had overheating issues in mine over that last almost 7 years, first time was offroad towing a trailer in the middle of "winter" (28c) and that was only due to the thermo fan (twins) fuse blowing after an over the bonnet river crossing and the other time was after a long day of low range work in summer.
I had on both occassion a pair of 170mm driving lights in front of the grille, but they have been there since i bought it so obviuosly they aren't an issue otherwise i would be having cooling issues all the time.
I should point out that my cooling system is all original since 1995 incl the radiator but it will need to changed soon due to a weep.....
Off topic i know but i now have to find a new location for my aux cooler due to a bullbar replacement (with larger lights!!!)

jj
are you saying jj, you don;t need a trans cooler?????
That was my other option for my xj sticking in first......!
Old 09-06-2010
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASE68 View Post
are you saying jj, you don;t need a trans cooler?????
That was my other option for my xj sticking in first......!

heh heh ... we are all getting a bit crossed up on, coolant , cooling issues at the moment JASE08.

A gearbox oil cooler in an Aust AW4 XJ ... is a nescessity.

Either the barely adequate one, as supplied by the factory ... or ....

A better one to suit your driving requirements.

For your problem ... grab yourself some AW4 servicing info from this page --> http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech.html

Make sure oil is fresh, and all adjustments are to spec ... then if the problem persists - start on the electrical controls and components.

Put your actions and findings in your thread and others with AW4 knowledge will guide you further/share similiar issues.

If you decide on a new cooler arrangement ... look to here and the linked threads in post # 7 ( http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...58&postcount=7 ) ...as a guide/info ... and then show us what you've done.

There are other cooler info posts out there as well.
Old 09-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

lol, no I don't take it personal- but it is frustrating to see the topic coming back over and over again.
and it doesn't matter in which forum you move yourself. Always the same topics( A neglected coolant system won't heal itself).

Im talking of to stop to copy second choice solutions. Second winner is first looser!
All solutions i have seen in the past are the common back garage fixes( no offense) But thermodynamics are a bit more demanding than simply adding an additional cooler(again).
Old 09-06-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gee Carves
I didn't know you ate 'maccas'

Thought you would be sitting down your back yard making damper!